Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weather System

View previous topic View next topic Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 3:46 am

Just a thought, but I've seen a bit on other RP's that they have a sort of weather/season system. I was thinking, why not initiate something like that? It could be tied into the new aging system.

In winter "seasons," you could RP in snow. Summer/Spring, more likely to be raining. Fall, all dem pretty leaves. Point is, it's easy enough to implement, and provides a little bit more diversity to RP, so why not have it?
Back to top Go down
Dan
Dan

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 4:13 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND.

no.

Too hard to maintain
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.com
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 9:31 am

"Too hard to maintain?"

"Alright guys, this month, it's winter. Colder than usual."

-2 months later-

"Alright guys, it's spring now. Rain everywhere."

How hard is it to maintain a feature that only changes ever few months, and only affects the general weather of topics that get started during that month?

Back to top Go down
Cookie Monster
Swaglord
Cookie Monster

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 12:05 pm

I wouldn't say a weather system is hard to maintain, as you've suggested, it could be linked quite easily with the Ageing System. However there are concerns I hold with the idea, one being, how much detail do we actually go into with this system? With three very unique terrains for the villages, it's not hard to believe that just because it's raining in Konohagakure doesn't mean it'll be raining in Kumogakure. These villages are meant to be spread across the globe after all, or arguably a continent since the map seems to leave portions of the countries out, so just because we have a rainy day in Spring for Konoha shouldn't mean it should be raining across the entire globe. Then there's issues for the future, what if Sunagakure was introduced? A weather system would be pretty useless for a village such as Sunagakure, which would mostly see sunshine everyday. And of course there's the factor as to how often the weather should be updated. Daily, weekly, monthly etc... It's not going to be raining all month or else we'd see flooding across the globe.

My final point is, is a weather system all really necessary? While it may be a nice feature to include a form of weather into roleplaying topics, I don't really see why members can't do so now without a system. All that needs to be done is mentioning the state of the weather during the first post of the topic. If it's snowing, say it's snowing. If it's raining, say it's raining. It's not really a hard task to do and one that shouldn't really be enforced by a new system. I wouldn't say a weather system is going to make an impact on the forum either and will ultimately lead to another job that the Staff will have to monitor in order to ensure it stays updated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 12:22 pm

Just because it's spring, doesn't necessarily mean it's raining. I'm proposing a weather system as a sort of justification for conditions. More likely to see thunderstorms during summer months, raining during spring months, snow during winter, you get the idea. And even deserts aren't without seasons; it's not entirely unheard of for it to snow in a desert, just very rare. And anyways, I'm not proposing a weather system as a strict "rule" so much as a guideline; if it's winter, sure, it can be a sunny day, or rainy, but it'll be colder than usual. Fall? Have any weather you want, so long as the leaves are turning. Spring and summer? Make it hot, make it cool, just don't make it snow.

Cookie Monster wrote:

My final point is, is a weather system all really necessary? While it may be a nice feature to include a form of weather into roleplaying topics, I don't really see why members can't do so now without a system. All that needs to be done is mentioning the state of the weather during the first post of the topic. If it's snowing, say it's snowing. If it's raining, say it's raining.

The problem with that is it's so inconsistent; you could have 3 different topics going on, at the same time, in the same village, where it's snowing, raining, and hot as all get-out. It's just weird.

Cookie Monster wrote:

I wouldn't say a weather system is going to make an impact on the forum either and will ultimately lead to another job that the Staff will have to monitor in order to ensure it stays updated.

It'd be no more difficult than changing the "OTM" dealios; once a month, change some picture to read as "Spring," "Summer," "Fall," "Winter." It'd certainly lead to a more fluid passage of time IC, rather than every few months "Bam, an entire year has passed."
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 1:29 pm

Just use some logic. Our characters age every 3 months, so roughly, in the first month, it's going to be spring/summer, in the second month it will be summer/autumn(fall) and in the last month, autumn(fall)/winter.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Aaron

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 6:06 pm

I like this idea. It's not exactly hard to maintain and it sets some consistency for roleplaying. Sometimes the weather can massively affect a topic. As a Nara, my character can massively influence his jutsu depending on the weather. In fact, in the canon description for Kagemane no Jutsu, it says;

Quote :
The time of day should be carefully noted by those using this technique. If the sun is setting, the shadow will naturally be bigger, and thus able to hit the maximum range. If the sun is halfway across the sky, than the shadow will be much smaller, and incapable of reaching even the 5m limit.

What's to stop me from always setting the weather to summer early evening/dawn, allowing me to always hit a maximum range? Nothing.

Therefore, I feel a weather system adds a nice touch to the site which doesn't take much effort on our part. The pro's clearly outweigh the cons, in my opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.com
Chris
Chris

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyFri 10 May 2013, 6:52 pm

Aaron wrote:
I like this idea. It's not exactly hard to maintain and it sets some consistency for roleplaying. Sometimes the weather can massively affect a topic. As a Nara, my character can massively influence his jutsu depending on the weather. In fact, in the canon description for Kagemane no Jutsu, it says;

Quote :
The time of day should be carefully noted by those using this technique. If the sun is setting, the shadow will naturally be bigger, and thus able to hit the maximum range. If the sun is halfway across the sky, than the shadow will be much smaller, and incapable of reaching even the 5m limit.

What's to stop me from always setting the weather to summer early evening/dawn, allowing me to always hit a maximum range? Nothing.

Therefore, I feel a weather system adds a nice touch to the site which doesn't take much effort on our part. The pro's clearly outweigh the cons, in my opinion. Smile

Well you're working under the assumption that you will always be the one who starts the topic; also what's stopping your opponent from saying that it became cloudy or that it began to rain? etc.

Also just because a little widget tells you that it's more rainy than usual, doesn't mean you'll have rain in your topic. Regardless of what it says, the weather is completely up to you and your rping partner/s. If 'sunny' doesn't appeal to whatever 'mood' you're going for in your topic, you simply won't make it 'sunny'.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptySat 11 May 2013, 10:45 am

Darius stated everything I would have stated.

Mainly the fact that throughout the world there are dozens of different climates across the shinobi continent. Secondly, implementing seasons and weather forecasts if they were properly enforced would mean we were restricting what sort of weather members could be using in their topics at certain times. I don't necessarily see how it fits well with the Aging System seeing as the Aging System is based on one in character year per every three month period in real life. There are four seasons within a year. We could breeze through those four seasons within that three month period but in reality threads can last for over a month on here. I think the idea of weather is somewhat appealing, but not as appealing as giving members the creativity for their own topics and sort of applying the knowledge of the nations into their threads. Ie- If people are roleplaying in Rain Country or Snow Country they usually apply the weather that the country is known for.

Back to top Go down
Cookie Monster
Swaglord
Cookie Monster

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptySun 26 May 2013, 10:50 pm

Solvable?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptySun 26 May 2013, 11:17 pm

Only if Travis is a polar solute
Back to top Go down
Sasme Raiki
Sasme Raiki

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyMon 27 May 2013, 4:06 am

I'm for the idea, and I don't think it would be too hard to maintain.

Season is set to change exactly every 15-25 days(round about) by an admin in a widget.

Initial Time of day and weather could be done by thread starter.

After all you dont HAVE to post in a particular thread if you don't like to, so nothing to complain about if it puts you at a disadvantage, you chose the topic.

As far as going by the seasonal weather, just leave that on honor system, if someone starts a thread in the middle of spring in say Konoha and they don't want it to rain, no big deal. But being that's it's spring what's to stop the other player from noticing an overcast coming from the horizon?

Like I said, large scale weather is nice to have it adds a little diversity. But don't try to manage topic weather, leave it to players for honor system style-esque.

Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyMon 27 May 2013, 5:22 am

Adam wrote:
Darius stated everything I would have stated.

Mainly the fact that throughout the world there are dozens of different climates across the shinobi continent. Secondly, implementing seasons and weather forecasts if they were properly enforced would mean we were restricting what sort of weather members could be using in their topics at certain times. I don't necessarily see how it fits well with the Aging System seeing as the Aging System is based on one in character year per every three month period in real life. There are four seasons within a year. We could breeze through those four seasons within that three month period but in reality threads can last for over a month on here. I think the idea of weather is somewhat appealing, but not as appealing as giving members the creativity for their own topics and sort of applying the knowledge of the nations into their threads. Ie- If people are roleplaying in Rain Country or Snow Country they usually apply the weather that the country is known for.

Back to top Go down
Cookie Monster
Swaglord
Cookie Monster

Weather System Vide
PostSubject: Re: Weather System Weather System EmptyMon 27 May 2013, 11:29 am

Solved.
No weather system to be implemented.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content