Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Misch. SCs

View previous topic View next topic Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyFri 17 May 2013, 2:52 pm

I'm aware that the SCs are already undergoing a (long and slow) revamp, but I stumbled across an idea that I thought might be appealing.

As it stands, the current Misch. SCs are heavily RP orientated; for the most part, very little use in combat, and only really applicable for adding flavor to a character's RP. However, having no combat use, there's relatively little motivation to use up a valuable SC slot on them. At least, as I'm aware, that's the general consensus (You hush, Rookie). I thought of an idea to perhaps give more motivation for taking up these misch scs; run them on separate slots from more combat-orientated SCs.

Basically, it'd work like this; the SC slot numbers remain the same, and you can pick up 3, 4, 5, 6 SCs as your advance through the ranks. However, in addition to that, you have a static set of two "non-combative" SC slots. It makes a sort of sense; being rich or acquiring black-market connections is hardly going to be so arduous and time consuming that it cuts into your "combat upkeep" time.

I'd also like to open up discussion on a more proper format and ruling for "Afflictions." I'm aware the site stands at a grand total of 2 Afflictions, but it might be an interesting idea to flesh out and open up.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyTue 21 May 2013, 12:33 pm

I'd like to discuss Afflictions a bit more in depth perhaps but as for the Miscellaneous Special Characteristics, Dan made a detailed proposition about splitting combat based SC's with non-combat SC's. With some though it's hard to categorize. Most of the useless Misc SC's are being removed in the update so we won't be dividing the slots like you've suggested.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyTue 21 May 2013, 3:12 pm

Well as it stands, me and Soph have the only two Afflictions on site, and I kinda used hers for the basis for my template anyway. So, here's a proposal as far as Afflictions goes

Basic rules
1. It's detrimental to the health of the user
2. It doesn't take up an SC slot
3. You can technically have as many as you wish, but with cumulative detrimental effect on the ninja in question

Template

Name: Self-explanatory.
Rank: A bit tricky to determine, but I think as an overall rule; no Affliction should be D or E rank. At C-rank, it's something detrimental only to the user, but can be overcome with time. B-rank, more severe effects, not as easily overcome, and can have long-term effects on the overall personality of the character, for good or ill. A-S rank can be outright fatal under certain conditions, long-term, inevitable side-effects, and can, under the right conditions, be passed onto or infect other individuals.
Range: Two ranges; either Personal, only affects the user, or Infectious, can be spread or passed on under the right conditions.
Description: What is the Affliction? What does it do to your character? What harm can it cause?
Long-Term Effects: How is this gonna work over their mind in the long run? What sort of physical debilitation might it inflict?
Chakra Cost: Perhaps someone comes up with an affliction where they lose 5 chakra per post, regardless of jutsu usage. Who knows.
Word Count Requirement: Self-explanatory.

I'm thinking that Afflictions could range from the more exotic things, like Sophie's Husk and my Clone Sickness, or to more "mundane" things, like Color-blindness, Schizophrenia.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyTue 21 May 2013, 3:27 pm

I'm actually in favour of this idea; it makes little sense to take up a precious slot with an affliction like Travis and Sophie have done, or else, with a solely social-related skill or trait.

We could run with a system where, say, you're allowed one (currently) Miscellaneous SC without any cost - it would add more flavour and variation to your character. For example, Kazuhiko would be rich or Dan's character would be a writer. However if we wanted a second Misc. SC, we would have to get an affliction as well and from there, every new Misc. SC would result in an additional affliction. So if I wanted my character to be rich and yet also have friends in all places, I would also need a detrimental SC, in this case, perhaps a weaker immune system or, like Travis suggested, Schizophrenia. If Kazuhiko was also a possessor of the Sixth Sense, perhaps a side effect of this sense would be a colour-blindness etc.
Back to top Go down
~Fox~
Nukenin
~Fox~

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyWed 22 May 2013, 7:48 pm

I really like this idea. It might help players balance out their characters and make the effects of afflictions quantifiable for the purposes of RP.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org/forum
Fuji
Fuji

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyFri 31 May 2013, 5:09 pm

I support this idea. As I see it the main problem with the SCs in their current form is that most people, myself included, are reluctant to miss out on a combat related SC in favor of a RP related one. People spend a lot of time and effort to create their characters and don't want to risk losing them if they chose to concentrate mainly on the RP aspect, and then get killed by someone who is only interested in combat.

SCs are central to differentiating the shinobi. I like the idea of allowing a few RP-only SC to be added as a 'static' bonus, but I also think that these should only be unlocked through RP, as the reason to allow these is to increase and 'evolve' the RP-ing on the site.

About the the changes of the SCs taking place at the moment, I don't care if you remove some of the current SCs, but let us keep the ability to create our own. I strongly believe that when people realize that the can focus more on the social/ character driven aspect without putting the characters at risk, then we'll see some more interesting topics and characters.
Back to top Go down
TNT
TNT

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySat 01 Jun 2013, 11:26 pm

Okay, forgive me for being behind, but what are we using afflictions for? I don't know if we're already using them or not (I just got back after a long hiatus, okay? Leave me be. D:), but what is the purpose of them? And are they mandatory in whatever update we're about to go through?

And after this update, how will the people already maxed out on special characteristics and such things be effected?
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySat 01 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

TNT wrote:
Okay, forgive me for being behind, but what are we using afflictions for? I don't know if we're already using them or not (I just got back after a long hiatus, okay? Leave me be. D:), but what is the purpose of them? And are they mandatory in whatever update we're about to go through?

And after this update, how will the people already maxed out on special characteristics and such things be effected?

Afflictions are basically negative SCs; unbeneficial to the user, and outright harmful. Currently, they're undefined, but entirely optional. At the moment, mine and Sophie's (Fox) characters possess the only known Afflictions.
Back to top Go down
Cookie Monster
Swaglord
Cookie Monster

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySat 01 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

Provided these Affliction SC's don't take up an SC Slot, I see no reason why these can't be included alongside the Special Characteristic Update. I believe I would actually be affected by this, as my character is blind in one eye due to an incident in the past. It makes me wonder if perhaps Affliction SC's should be forced upon members who hold S - Rank characters, even the all powerful need some sort of weakness.
Thinking
Back to top Go down
Euphoria
Euphoria

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 1:11 am

Cookie Monster wrote:

It makes me wonder if perhaps Affliction SC's should be forced upon members who hold S - Rank characters, even the all powerful need some sort of weakness.
Thinking
So if this were the case, would the affliction be of equal rank and therefore an achilles-heel for a character, or would the affliction be something more tame? Anyway, here are my thoughts:

I think something more creative like Gouka or Uriko's affliction would require a member to integrate it into their character's history in order to properly explain it, whether it be directly through their application or by developing it via roleplaying.

I'm not doubting the potential of Affliction SCs. They add another dimension to characters and I'm all for depth. I'm just curious as to how detrimental these traits have to be. Obviously they're harmful, but a phobia for instance would be rather situational in inflicting harm to a character. Additionally, Morijin's lost eye reduces his field of vision, but an eye transplants could nullify that, right?

I wonder to what extend the aforementioned need to be considered in order to develop a concrete formula for Affliction SCs. Customization is a staple, but as with all customs there should be some boundaries.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 1:54 am

Why would colourblindless be an affliction, Trav? :<
Back to top Go down
TNT
TNT

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 2:14 am

I don't know if I like the idea of afflictions. In theory, all jutsu, weapons, SC's, etc. that are already approved or get approved are balanced. If the affliction is too afflicting and we're only targeting S rank shinobi with them, we could see A rank shinobi begin to have an advantage over S rank shinobi, which, in my opinion, is not how it should go. I think that if we're going to have afflictions that aren't necessary because of what happens in RP but because it's required, much time should be spent developing this system to make sure it doesn't offset the balance of the universe and send US plummeting into an alternate universe where cats and dogs live together and genin run the place. I personally think that if there are going to be afflictions, it should only be through RP and each specific character is able to put a specific affliction on another character. I hope that all made sense.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 3:58 am

TNT wrote:
I don't know if I like the idea of afflictions. In theory, all jutsu, weapons, SC's, etc. that are already approved or get approved are balanced. If the affliction is too afflicting and we're only targeting S rank shinobi with them, we could see A rank shinobi begin to have an advantage over S rank shinobi, which, in my opinion, is not how it should go. I think that if we're going to have afflictions that aren't necessary because of what happens in RP but because it's required, much time should be spent developing this system to make sure it doesn't offset the balance of the universe and send US plummeting into an alternate universe where cats and dogs live together and genin run the place. I personally think that if there are going to be afflictions, it should only be through RP and each specific character is able to put a specific affliction on another character. I hope that all made sense.

It did not. Nobody (at least, not me) is saying you HAVE to have an Affliction, just suggesting some ground work for them. Until I came along, Sophie was entirely unique in the concept; I had to crib off her template for developing mine. The idea of afflictions is for them to be available to people who WANT them, who want an interesting weaknesses to build their character around. If you don't want one, that's fine; you don't have to get one.

@Adam: Just using it as an example. I imagine being color blind would be detrimental for a tracker nin, being unable to distinguish a blood splatter on some foliage.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyThu 27 Jun 2013, 11:53 pm

I hate to double post, buuuuuut we doing anything about this?
Back to top Go down
TNT
TNT

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyFri 28 Jun 2013, 1:30 am

Don't lie. You love double posting. It makes you feel like a rebel.
Back to top Go down
Keos
Keos

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySat 05 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

Shouldn't this be solved, as you were the one most recently working on the revamp?
Back to top Go down
NuclearTreerat
NuclearTreerat

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 06 Oct 2013, 1:09 am

Someone COULD make the "social" type SC's have some practical use outside of combat. A few ideas that I can come up with off the top of my head.

Black Market - can learn a (very) limited number of techniques that are specific to other villages at a greatly increased cost. Reflects the characters ability to find the people who deal in the stuff only sold in back rooms.
Street Smarts - reduces the cost of jutsu & equipment by a set amount. Basically the ability to find the less-savoy dealers who sell stolen or contraband scrolls, weapons, etc at a "discount". At the risk of being busted by the MPs and/or ANBU.
Infinite Riches - reduces the word count of all training posts and the cost of basic equipment (C-rank and below) by 10%. Since the character can afford high-end training equipment (and expert help) they can develop abilities more easily than others, and when it comes to buying equipment their money can replace the legwork and haggling that others do.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptySun 06 Oct 2013, 1:30 am

Just waiting on Adamn's stamp of approval on the sc update.
Back to top Go down
Cookie Monster
Swaglord
Cookie Monster

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs EmptyWed 20 Nov 2013, 12:09 am

Solved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Misch. SCs Vide
PostSubject: Re: Misch. SCs Misch. SCs Empty