Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Make your voices heard.

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Cross
Cross

Make your voices heard.  Vide
PostSubject: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptySun 09 Nov 2014, 6:58 am

Ok, I'm going to keep this straight forward, flame free and easy going.

Staff want members input on what they think is broken/needs fixed on this site. Systems, mainly. I'm not going to make some fancy template on how you guys can respond here. I'm just going to let you do what you want, with no flaming allowed. Keep it civil, ok? I know that there was a thread like this before, but this one is a bit more-- idek. Looked at? Lol. All members here are equal in this thread. Think there are no staff members on the site in this thread. Anyone can say anything about any system and there are no right or wrong ways to go about this.

Post away. Go for it.

Remember. Any system YOU think is broken/need fix, put here and why.

Start.

Edit: this is a thread to get systems fixed, not to call someones claim 'stupid' or 'not called for.' I will not tolerate such claims in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Elsa
Elsa

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptySun 09 Nov 2014, 11:51 pm

I am not sure if this has been fixed already since it was heavily discussed, but it is in regards to users being able to learn clan based elemental affinities such as ice release which is linked to the Yuki clan. From a certain standpoint, a user could have two clan abilities. One could be associated with a clan's hidden jutsu such as the Nara clan or Yamanaka clan while also possessing the ability to learn a certain elemental nature such as ice or lava. Yes, the technique may not be as powerful, but I believe it isn't just to those who decided to pick element based clans. As I said, I'm not sure if this has been fixed already or if it is already being looked up but that is my only concern at this current moment.
Back to top Go down
Ancladar
Konoha Nin
Ancladar

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyMon 10 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

I'd like to make a suggestion. I for one find it hard and kind of boring to write up solo missions. I want to propose that we do something along the lines of npcers for missions if people want them. The npcers would get like half credit for npcing and could put the exp or mp onto their characters. This would provide some incentive for people to do solo missions and others to do npc work and get more funds on the side.
Back to top Go down
Yusuke
Konoha Nin
Yusuke

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyMon 10 Nov 2014, 5:57 pm

You need to eliminates all penalties for dying.

People around here freak the fuck out when you talk about fighting them and pitch fits. Part of that is because, if they have a Chuunin +, they have to like start over at Genin or whatever the ridiculous rule is. Dying and recreating a character should be seamless. You get the exact same rank you were, the exact same amount of jutsus/SCs, etc. You shouldn't lose any 'progress', just the actual character you lost. Maybe that will help people freak out less when the prospect of mortal combat arises.

Also, what the hell is with this travel system? Why is there any system in place that prevents writing for any length of time? It strikes me as a silly notion for a place built around member-based activity. What are we afraid of happening exactly? I'll travel around super fast and . . . write more? Why is this a bad thing? Travel nonsense should only be applicable when it comes to conflict -- I shouldn't be allowed to be fighting Rukasu in Konoha, Saint in Kirigakure, and Kurogane in Kumo all at once -- but other than that, why can't I have an ongoing thread in two places at once without having to wait days at a time to start the next one?

Word minimums are ridiculous. The fact I'm an S-Rank doesn't mean I should have to fluff out a post with 23904802398 words just because I'm an S-Rank. Length does not help make a crappy post any better, in fact, the opposite is most often true. If I can accomplish what I'm saying in 250 words, why can't I just write 250 words? Who HONESTLY wants to read any extra 900 words of me BSing just so I can get a travel thread established or I can make a smarmy comment? If I want to chime in with just a piece of dialogue in between posts, why can't I?

No Seals needs to be eliminated, though the staff is already tracking on my feelings on that. Hachimon, Lava Release, Dust Release all need to be evaluated, balanced, and allowed. Uh . . . Some incentives for fighting would be rad, or even some NPCs for us to fight. As is, I'm about to have to start creating custom missions just so I have a reason to go over and punk some Cloud kids.
Back to top Go down
Yusuke
Konoha Nin
Yusuke

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyMon 10 Nov 2014, 6:04 pm

Oh, and maybe relocation/joining incentives? I wouldn't have gone Kiri had I known that Konoha needed more people, and as it is, I'd move Koga over to Konoha if I had the opportunity to. It doesn't really jive with his character to defect, but if OOC magic was allowed I'd do it, and I reckon I may not be the only person to feel this way.

So I'd come up with some incentives -- 'Hey, if you magically move your guy over to X, you get a free SC/jutsu/AF/MF/etc. -- so we can have the place balanced out a little better instead of lamenting the fact Konoha doesn't have enough people. Let's get proactive about fixing those things instead of idly staring at it.
Back to top Go down
Katsumi
Kumo Nin
Katsumi

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyWed 07 Jan 2015, 2:48 am

Reviewing custom jutsu in the order in which they are posted on the forum. I understand we all have RL and have things to do that supersede US and thus it can take time to get things done, completely understandable. But I find it annoying when you're waiting on jutsu evaluations and people whom post their jutsu after you are constantly being approved before yours is looked at and/or tagged.
Back to top Go down
OccupiedLocket
OccupiedLocket

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyWed 07 Jan 2015, 6:59 am

I have a problem with some of the combat. I understand this is a RP-based combat system but there needs to be more structure regarding SC's. Perception and evasion come to mind since I use them often. With evasion, How well can someone dodge things without the SC, with the SC, or the upgrade. I have seen some Iffy dodges during this tournament and some of those dodges devalue the effort to gain the SC. With perception, it states that the ninja can sense even the changes in the way leafs move. This implies that someone without this rank cannot do that but I have seen people do things like notice their pre-action movements to indicate what the opponent will do next and yet they do not have perception. Some clarification on what SC's do over not having them would solve this problem but for this to be fixed there needs to be:

Something to tell others how a ninja without the SC's can move, their strength, speed, and endurance. Pretty much every SC. I hope this makes sense. I am bad at explaining myself.
Back to top Go down
Yusuke
Konoha Nin
Yusuke

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyWed 07 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

OccupiedLocket wrote:
I have a problem with some of the combat. I understand this is a RP-based combat system but there needs to be more structure regarding SC's. Perception and evasion come to mind since I use them often. With evasion, How well can someone dodge things without the SC, with the SC, or the upgrade. I have seen some Iffy dodges during this tournament and some of those dodges devalue the effort to gain the SC. With perception, it states that the ninja can sense even the changes in the way leafs move. This implies that someone without this rank cannot do that but I have seen people do things like notice their pre-action movements to indicate what the opponent will do next and yet they do not have perception. Some clarification on what SC's do over not having them would solve this problem but for this to be fixed there needs to be:

Something to tell others how a ninja without the SC's can move, their strength, speed, and endurance. Pretty much every SC. I hope this makes sense. I am bad at explaining myself.

I'm not replying in any official capacity. The views I'm about to express are my views and my views alone. That being said, I think what I have to say might be helpful to the general member base when considering SCs and how they affect interplay.

What you're asking for is a baseline: how fast can a ninja move regularly, how strong are they regularly, etc. The problem is, no one can really create such a thing. A ninja's abilities in the canon fluctuate based on the needs of the plot. Naruto has been shown both as a relatively quick and also a relatively slow character throughout the series. It's hard to pick someone and be like "THIS IS HOW FAST WE REGULARLY ARE" because characters throughout the series have all shown great feats of speed and strength regardless of their specialties.

So what should we do?

The best way to think of SCs are as evidence. They are facts that can be used to support your specific argument. Furthermore, they're dispositions that your character possesses, sub-specialties, that you should focus your overall combat strategy around. For example, Yusuke is both a fast and a strong character (I've taken the strength and speed SCs respectively). When I fight, I try and turn the fight into a contest of speed and strength. The best thing I can do is try to get a character that's weaker than me to engage me in a contest of strength. I have the advantage there, so it's where I want the fight to be.

Exactly how strong Yusuke is isn't exactly relevant. We have gradations of SCs to give you a rough guideline, but common sense/what we've seen should be applied whenever possible. No one would be cool with me saying Yusuke can rip your arms off, but no one wants to read Yusuke's stats on how much he benches, squats, and deadlifts either. I didn't take the strength SC in order to say I can lift X. I took the strength SC in order to make the argument that, if you and I are wrestling, I can overpower you. I took the SC so I can use it as evidence in my fight that the way I'm fighting makes sense and it plays to my advantages. It has to do with the strategy you want to implement in combat.

Onto what you said about what you've seen characters do: I think two things are important to remember when discussing SCs, 1. the SC's intention (derived from reading its description/effects) and 2. viewing SCs as supporting evidence for your argument in a fight. I'm going to start with 2 first. If someone without the strength SC wants to have their character lift something heavy, I really don't care or mind. I don't want to censor what someone can write or can't write, it's their character, I want them to have fun. However, if their character is arm-wrestling Yusuke and they don't have the strength SC, I expect that I can beat them in an arm-wrestling match. What people are writing shouldn't bother you any more than it should bother me in terms of SCs (provided they're not going insane and writing in their private shit that they're Goku) unless they're claiming they can overpower you in an area your person specializes in. It's the Yusuke/strength example I mentioned earlier.

Now onto 1. A lot gets made of SCs around here and I think it's silly. You need to distill the intent of the SC from its description, not take what's written there to be 100% literal 100% of the time. There's a common sense factor to it, and a judgment factor. While I admit it's tricky, I would no more respect someone claiming that they're Yondaime reincarnate just because they took the speed SC than I respect the people who cry every time a fast character wants to say that they can run fast and that that's somehow overpowered. It's evidence for a strategy they're trying to employ.

This is where we get into distilling the intent behind each SC. What the SC specifically says is less important than the intent that the SC is trying to convey. Since you used the evasion SC as an example I will too. The evasion SC is not meant to be used as an excuse to dodge logical and well-coordinated attacks. Reading its description, the evasion SC is really more saying that your character is abnormally flexible/acrobatic. That doesn't meant someone without the evasion SC can't dodge things, it just means that someone without the evasion SC probably shouldn't play their character dodging things in that particular way. I don't mind if a random character can lift heavy things -- all ninjas have a degree of strength, speed, acrobatic ability, etc. -- but if they start turning this into an arm-wrestling contest without the SC, I'm going to call them on it. To pick on Jeramiah for a minute, I think he employed the evasion SC brilliantly in our fight. He did things that I would normally have been like 'Wtf, you can't just spin around when you're running full speed or swing yourself open like a door so fluidly' -- but he said that he could and his supporting evidence was the fact he had this acrobatic SC. It's a convincing argument and one I couldn't really deny, given the circumstances.

Perception is a more creative SC and it's more fun to use. I had perception on my old puppeteer, Koga. Perception doesn't mean that no one else can see things, but I would argue it does give you license to make inferences with less available evidence than a normal ninja normally could. Sherlock Holmes -- this is an abstract example, please don't turn your character into Sherlock Holmes -- can tell a lot about a person based on stains on their clothes/scratches on their watches; those are the types of things I'd argue the perception SC are useful for. It doesn't mean I don't notice the stain, but I probably won't jump to the same conclusion as fast as someone else who has it. From a defensive perspective, I think perception can serve as an insurance policy of sorts in case you wander into a trap or genjutsu and help you get out of it/fix your situation.

I hope this was helpful. Jumping into how literally we have to interpret our own abilities hurts us and it gets ridiculous. Even if I tell you that you run at 10 mph baseline, people have a hard time rationalizing and conceptualizing that on a text-based medium. Combat here is a war of words, it's basically writing a competing essay against your opponent and you're using facts/assumptions/set ups in order to make a more convincing case for why you should win. SCs and jutsus serve as concrete facts/evidence you can use. They should factor into your strategy and support your goals, and you should have counter-strategies for characters that are your superior in certain areas. If you're not a fast character, don't turn the fight into a contest of speed. If you're not a strong character, don't get in a wrestling match with someone who is. It's really easy to point fingers at people and say 'THEY'RE UNFAIR BECAUSE THEY CAN JUST RUN AT MY CHARACTER!', but that's lazy. It's really not that much harder to plan on someone trying to blitz you and be like 'Hm, he's running at me. This would be a really bad situation if I couldn't SET HIM ON FIRE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,'

Again, there's a level of common sense/judgment we all have to develop and dictate. There's a give and take to things, and we need an objective enough culture around here so you can talk to your opponent and trust they'll view it from your side objectively. If you're truly at an impasse where neither of you can come to some sort of compromise, the mods can always step in to impose their viewpoint on things, but I hate it when that happens. Fights are a lot more fun around here when we work together to come up with compromised solutions to impasses. Then it just turns into a creativity bout, and I think that's what we're all here to see.

Anyway, I'm going to step off of my soap box now. Hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
Kiseki
Konoha Nin
Kiseki

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  EmptyThu 08 Jan 2015, 3:00 am

Yusuke wrote:
OccupiedLocket wrote:

I'm not replying in any official capacity. The views I'm about to express are my views and my views alone. That being said, I think what I have to say might be helpful to the general member base when considering SCs and how they affect interplay.

What you're asking for is a baseline: how fast can a ninja move regularly, how strong are they regularly, etc. The problem is, no one can really create such a thing. A ninja's abilities in the canon fluctuate based on the needs of the plot. Naruto has been shown both as a relatively quick and also a relatively slow character throughout the series. It's hard to pick someone and be like "THIS IS HOW FAST WE REGULARLY ARE" because characters throughout the series have all shown great feats of speed and strength regardless of their specialties.

So what should we do?

The best way to think of SCs are as evidence. They are facts that can be used to support your specific argument. Furthermore, they're dispositions that your character possesses, sub-specialties, that you should focus your overall combat strategy around. For example, Yusuke is both a fast and a strong character (I've taken the strength and speed SCs respectively). When I fight, I try and turn the fight into a contest of speed and strength. The best thing I can do is try to get a character that's weaker than me to engage me in a contest of strength. I have the advantage there, so it's where I want the fight to be.

Exactly how strong Yusuke is isn't exactly relevant. We have gradations of SCs to give you a rough guideline, but common sense/what we've seen should be applied whenever possible. No one would be cool with me saying Yusuke can rip your arms off, but no one wants to read Yusuke's stats on how much he benches, squats, and deadlifts either. I didn't take the strength SC in order to say I can lift X. I took the strength SC in order to make the argument that, if you and I are wrestling, I can overpower you. I took the SC so I can use it as evidence in my fight that the way I'm fighting makes sense and it plays to my advantages. It has to do with the strategy you want to implement in combat.

Onto what you said about what you've seen characters do: I think two things are important to remember when discussing SCs, 1. the SC's intention (derived from reading its description/effects) and 2. viewing SCs as supporting evidence for your argument in a fight. I'm going to start with 2 first. If someone without the strength SC wants to have their character lift something heavy, I really don't care or mind. I don't want to censor what someone can write or can't write, it's their character, I want them to have fun. However, if their character is arm-wrestling Yusuke and they don't have the strength SC, I expect that I can beat them in an arm-wrestling match. What people are writing shouldn't bother you any more than it should bother me in terms of SCs (provided they're not going insane and writing in their private shit that they're Goku) unless they're claiming they can overpower you in an area your person specializes in. It's the Yusuke/strength example I mentioned earlier.

Now onto 1. A lot gets made of SCs around here and I think it's silly. You need to distill the intent of the SC from its description, not take what's written there to be 100% literal 100% of the time. There's a common sense factor to it, and a judgment factor. While I admit it's tricky, I would no more respect someone claiming that they're Yondaime reincarnate just because they took the speed SC than I respect the people who cry every time a fast character wants to say that they can run fast and that that's somehow overpowered. It's evidence for a strategy they're trying to employ.

This is where we get into distilling the intent behind each SC. What the SC specifically says is less important than the intent that the SC is trying to convey. Since you used the evasion SC as an example I will too. The evasion SC is not meant to be used as an excuse to dodge logical and well-coordinated attacks. Reading its description, the evasion SC is really more saying that your character is abnormally flexible/acrobatic. That doesn't meant someone without the evasion SC can't dodge things, it just means that someone without the evasion SC probably shouldn't play their character dodging things in that particular way. I don't mind if a random character can lift heavy things -- all ninjas have a degree of strength, speed, acrobatic ability, etc. -- but if they start turning this into an arm-wrestling contest without the SC, I'm going to call them on it. To pick on Jeramiah for a minute, I think he employed the evasion SC brilliantly in our fight. He did things that I would normally have been like 'Wtf, you can't just spin around when you're running full speed or swing yourself open like a door so fluidly' -- but he said that he could and his supporting evidence was the fact he had this acrobatic SC. It's a convincing argument and one I couldn't really deny, given the circumstances.

Perception is a more creative SC and it's more fun to use. I had perception on my old puppeteer, Koga. Perception doesn't mean that no one else can see things, but I would argue it does give you license to make inferences with less available evidence than a normal ninja normally could. Sherlock Holmes -- this is an abstract example, please don't turn your character into Sherlock Holmes -- can tell a lot about a person based on stains on their clothes/scratches on their watches; those are the types of things I'd argue the perception SC are useful for. It doesn't mean I don't notice the stain, but I probably won't jump to the same conclusion as fast as someone else who has it. From a defensive perspective, I think perception can serve as an insurance policy of sorts in case you wander into a trap or genjutsu and help you get out of it/fix your situation.

I hope this was helpful. Jumping into how literally we have to interpret our own abilities hurts us and it gets ridiculous. Even if I tell you that you run at 10 mph baseline, people have a hard time rationalizing and conceptualizing that on a text-based medium. Combat here is a war of words, it's basically writing a competing essay against your opponent and you're using facts/assumptions/set ups in order to make a more convincing case for why you should win. SCs and jutsus serve as concrete facts/evidence you can use. They should factor into your strategy and support your goals, and you should have counter-strategies for characters that are your superior in certain areas. If you're not a fast character, don't turn the fight into a contest of speed. If you're not a strong character, don't get in a wrestling match with someone who is. It's really easy to point fingers at people and say 'THEY'RE UNFAIR BECAUSE THEY CAN JUST RUN AT MY CHARACTER!', but that's lazy. It's really not that much harder to plan on someone trying to blitz you and be like 'Hm, he's running at me. This would be a really bad situation if I couldn't SET HIM ON FIRE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,'

Again, there's a level of common sense/judgment we all have to develop and dictate. There's a give and take to things, and we need an objective enough culture around here so you can talk to your opponent and trust they'll view it from your side objectively. If you're truly at an impasse where neither of you can come to some sort of compromise, the mods can always step in to impose their viewpoint on things, but I hate it when that happens. Fights are a lot more fun around here when we work together to come up with compromised solutions to impasses. Then it just turns into a creativity bout, and I think that's what we're all here to see.

Anyway, I'm going to step off of my soap box now. Hope this helped.

COOKIE!

#Koga4Admin2K15
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make your voices heard. Make your voices heard.  Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-