Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mid-Range Weapons

View previous topic View next topic Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyMon 17 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

I can understand the rest of the universals, but... Claymore? Nodachi? Close range is defined as Zero to Five meters. Even the claymore comes a full 3 and a half meters short of even reaching the max of close range, much less extending into mid-range. What are you gonna do, THROW the sword at your opponent?

Furthermore, why is the Claymore B-rank? It's described as neither chakra conductive nor of high quality materials. It's just insanely big.
Back to top Go down
Enzo
Kumo Nin
Enzo

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyTue 18 Dec 2012, 12:21 am

1.) The definition of close range applies to attacks, not the weapons themselves. Otherwise all Mid-range weapons would be designed to strike at a significant distance. You can't readily use a gigantic katana or broadsword in close range combat. Those weapons are meant for distancing the user from the enemy and dealing incredibly brutal one-hit attacks. Think Sephiroth. That's definitely not close range, when a person with a katana can't even reach your hand let alone chest because of the length and size of the blade.

2.) Ignore that. It's meant to be updated soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.darkbb.com/forum
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

Solved?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 9:09 am

I don't know. Has a separate definition of ranges been made in regards to weapons, as is apparently needed?
Back to top Go down
Shiro
Shiro

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 9:33 am

I'd imagine most Polearms would be considered mid-range weapons then?
Back to top Go down
NuclearTreerat
NuclearTreerat

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Shiro wrote:
I'd imagine most Polearms would be considered mid-range weapons then?

I would think so too considering that a polearm was generally designed to have a total reach greater than any sword. Even a "great sword", which were intended to be used against blocks of pikemen and not individual, only offers at most a foot of advantage over the "typical" one-handed swords due to the limitations a long blade imposes.

Considering the other weapons in the mid-range class (giant fan, spear, tomahawk, etc) have some form of extended reach (more than just a foot or so) or can be thrown I would suggest simply shifting some weapons around. Move the nodaichi and claymore (whose description does NOT match the traditional Scottish greatsword but does fit the late-Renaissance zweihander) into close-range and the halberd to mid-range than add another weapon to flesh out the mid-range. I would suggest the kusarigama or meteor hammer as both are more consistent with the others than a pair of swords who reach is considerably less.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySat 19 Jan 2013, 8:54 pm

Based on my understanding of the system and what Enzo has said, the ranges do not refer to the lengths of weapons necessarily. They refer to how you use them.

A Long Range weapon is basically a projectile, or a projectile-releasing tool (e.g. bow). That is mostly set in stone.

Close and Mid range on the other hand, I would say, are harder to classify. Technically, anything you can use to attack the opponent without throwing or releasing control of it, is close combat. Granted, a spear or a claymore might lean more to the Mid Rank side of things, but you're still engaging in melee combat. Spears are only about 2 meters in length at the most. That's still very close combat.

Personally, I would imagine Mid Range weapons are more like the Long Range weapons, in the sense that they are released at the opponent, yet travel less and deal more damage as a result. I would imagine a javelin to be such a weapon or a throwing knife. A grenade or explosive of some kind would also fall into this category I would think.

Perhaps if you interpret it slightly different, Mid Range weapons are a balance between Long and Close. You can keep the opponent at length, use the weapon in close combat, and throw or release the weapon as a viable projectile should you wish to. Since Mid Range constitutes 5 metres, neither a claymore or a spear would really classify as Medium.
Back to top Go down
Enzo
Kumo Nin
Enzo

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptySun 20 Jan 2013, 3:01 am

Mid-range weapons are, as Chris said, meant to keep the enemy at a distance. A spear, javelin, pike and chains are all weapons that have a significantly larger reach than their close range counterparts; such as the bat, long sword, short sword, or even a whip. Broadswords and Super-long swords like the Nodachi are definitely not close range; as you can easily stand a good 3-4 feet from the enemy and make very few movements to strike them. Arguably though, broadswords require some hefty swing and are more defensive; so I'll concede on the fact that they are more close range than long; however a Nodachi still falls under a significantly long blade, much longer than the general long sword. As for weapon descriptions; as I said, they're meant to be changed. I was planning on doing it much sooner until my sudden leave of absence; so expect those changes to occur within a few days.

To clarify, the jutsu ranges set on the site (Close, Mid and Long) are all based off of the Canon's definition of Close Mid and Long; or at the very least Leaf Ninja's version of range. Hence the difference between weapon range and jutsu range; as they are based off two different systems; the latter being entirely custom. They do contradict, however the descriptions of ranges will be modified to relieve any future confusion:

Quote :
You may pick from the following three categories:

Long Range: Weapons designed to be flung, thrown or shot. Examples include: Shuriken, Bows, Bombs, Launchers, etc.
Mid Range: Weapons designed to keep the enemy at bay and prevent any close range weapons or attacks to land. Examples include: Chains, Fans, Sound-based Weapons, Nodachi, etc.
Close Range: Weapons designed for close-combat quarters, where one expects to land significant damage very quickly and rapidly, however sacrificing on defense. Examples include:Bats, Blades, Fists, Axes, Whips, etc.

Note: The three ranges of weapons should not be thought of in the same sense as the ranges described in jutsu, and are in fact bound to their own parameters as described above.

Basically; Long range is the most defensive and sacrifices offense for a good defense. Close range is the most offensive and sacrifices defense for a good offense. Mid-range is in between; where it has decent defensive and offensive capabilities. Hope this clears things up.
Back to top Go down
TwinnyKitty
Kumo Nin
TwinnyKitty

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyTue 29 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

So, is this solved?
Back to top Go down
Enzo
Kumo Nin
Enzo

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 10:13 pm

I don't believe I added it into the system yet. I was hoping the ones who wanted the clarification were going to post; but if not then I'll just make the edit shortly.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyWed 06 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

TwinnyKitty wrote:
So, is this solved?

How about now? TEEHEE
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
Enzo
Kumo Nin
Enzo

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 3:07 am

Solved!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mid-Range Weapons Vide
PostSubject: Re: Mid-Range Weapons Mid-Range Weapons Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-