Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Leighton
Leighton

Books Vide
PostSubject: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 9:27 am

So I was thinking that I'm certainly not the only person in the world that adores recieving books for Christmas, spending several sleepless nights reading them without food and only moving to adjust the lighting and use the washroom, but I've never actually seen anyone really talk about books or authors on the site before. So I was kinda curious since I don't really talk to people and really wondered what people liked to read, if anything at all. You can't say you don't like reading either, because A) you're on a role-playing site, and B) you just read this.

I've taken a certain liking to authors like Kelley Armstrong, Kirstin and P.C. Cast, Cassandra Claire, Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, L.J. Smith, and Suzanne Collins. A lot of fantasy and all that sweet, dark stuff. Tinges of that, sexual nature and whatnot. Not full on, strap-the-leather-on 50 Shades style. Typically something I find an interest in or I can relate to, without even knowing it. Sometimes it's just the darker stuff, the violence and how it all fits together to actually serve a purpose. I'm prett sure I'd have no interest in role-playing if I didn't like novels and reading. So, what, may I ask, is your poison when it comes to reading?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.com
Emperor of Rock
Konoha Nin
Emperor of Rock

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:29 am

Reading a book and reading a post that is usually 1000 words max isn't the same. And no I don't like reading books. I did try though but of course I failed. I bought myself Game of Thrones book and read the first 100 pages. That was about 5 months ago. I don't know why but I never bothered to read it completely. I did watch the series though.

The only book I actually read till the end was Deception Point by Dan Brown. And that's only because I was working in a camp in a restaurant and I had literally nothing else through the whole day except listening to music or working. And so I read those 300 pages in 3 days. And that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:31 am

Pretty sure we've had one of these topics discussing books not too long ago.

All I bring up are the Game of Thrones and Dexter books. Hgggggnnnnnnnn.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:45 am

Dean Koontz, John Saul, J.K. Rowling, Robert Jordan (RIP), Brian Jacques (RIP), R.A. Salvatore, Eoin Colfer, just to name a few authors off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
TwinnyKitty
Kumo Nin
TwinnyKitty

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:48 am

Oh my gosh, Brent Weeks' book for me <3 <3 <3 Hnnngggg~ I like fantasy too, and everything is made better with well-written gritty realism, and that's something Brent Weeks does UH-mazingly~! The Night Angel Trillogy and then the first of the Lightbringer series includes the only books I've read from start to finish since I read The Hobbit when I was 12. Other than those, I've dabbled in things, started books only to abandon them a few hundred pages later etc. I DO find a lot of joy in reading non-fiction on certain subjects relevant to my interests though, one I'm tiptoeing through now that has been exceptionally interesting is 'The Web That Has No Weaver'; a book on Chinese Medicine that goes further to explain many aspects of Chinese belief and culture. It's interesting, yeah?

So short answer; fantasy; especially that with a dark side, and any random non-fiction that tickles my fancy :3
Back to top Go down
Emperor of Rock
Konoha Nin
Emperor of Rock

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 11:51 am

Well, maybe if I would find a good detective story, a smart one, maybe I would read that because I LOVE detective stories. Mentalist, Columbo, Poirot, Psych. Hhhhgggnnn
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 12:25 pm

Ivan wrote:
Well, maybe if I would find a good detective story, a smart one, maybe I would read that because I LOVE detective stories. Mentalist, Columbo, Poirot, Psych. Hhhhgggnnn

TV shows don't count. They require a totally different pacing and set-up from a book. Detective books, you're not gonna find out until the final chapters who dun it, and that's gonna take a lot longer, a lot more clue searching, than a one hour prime-time slot.
Back to top Go down
Emperor of Rock
Konoha Nin
Emperor of Rock

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyThu 27 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm

Mors Atra wrote:
Ivan wrote:

TV shows don't count. They require a totally different pacing and set-up from a book. Detective books, you're not gonna find out until the final chapters who dun it, and that's gonna take a lot longer, a lot more clue searching, than a one hour prime-time slot.

Well that's kinda the point of it no? Also, if the writer gives enough clues to the reader to figure out the killer/thief/bad guy/whatever, I would be so down to read that.
Back to top Go down
Alex Star
Alex Star

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyFri 28 Dec 2012, 7:11 am

Sun tzu: Book of War
Back to top Go down
Leon Orcot
Leon Orcot

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyFri 28 Dec 2012, 7:15 am

Alex Star wrote:
Sun tzu: Book of War

The Art of War*
Back to top Go down
Alex Star
Alex Star

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyFri 28 Dec 2012, 7:17 am

Meh, I haven't seen the book in a long time. The OUTSIDERS IS ALSO A GOOD BOOK
Back to top Go down

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyFri 28 Dec 2012, 7:49 am

Preferably, I read screenplays, Shakespeare, and Edgar Allan Poe. (:
Back to top Go down
Kayden
Kayden

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyFri 28 Dec 2012, 7:53 am

Chronicle of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer. That is all. Actually, I do like authors such as Pittacus Lore, David Macinnis Gill, Suzanne Collins, Anthony Horowitz, etc.

Some books I like include Skate, CoVT Series, Black Hole Sun, Hunger Games, The Enemy Series, The Gatekeeper Series, among others.
Back to top Go down
Flare
Kumo Nin
Flare

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptySun 30 Dec 2012, 11:05 am

Ivan wrote:
Reading a book and reading a post that is usually 1000 words max isn't the same. And no I don't like reading books. I did try though but of course I failed. I bought myself Game of Thrones book and read the first 100 pages. That was about 5 months ago. I don't know why but I never bothered to read it completely. I did watch the series though.

The only book I actually read till the end was Deception Point by Dan Brown. And that's only because I was working in a camp in a restaurant and I had literally nothing else through the whole day except listening to music or working. And so I read those 300 pages in 3 days. And that's about it.

Game. Of. Thrones... <3 PLEASE READ! My god, I've read the first two and currently scraping together money for the next two in the series of books. I never put it down; read all 1000 odd pages for two days and finished it. As for other books... I quite enjoy a good Dean Koontz book. I would suggest What The Night Knows for people who like creepy detective books. It scared me out of my wits because I read it at night, and it scarred my mother for life. Brill book though! TEEHEE

I'm currently reading a book written by the author of the Percy Jackson series and I'm really enjoying it. It's called The Red Pyramid and I don't know whether it's because I'm a freak about Egyptian Mythology, but the imagination and creativity is just... immense. It's broken my long-time writers block reading it and inspired me to start writing again, so I would heavily recommend that book!~
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.darkbb.com/forum
Zevas
Zevas

Books Vide
PostSubject: Re: Books Books EmptyTue 15 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

stephen king: skeleton crew
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

Books Vide