Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

can nodachi be closed ranged?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Hiryuu
Konoha Nin
Hiryuu

can nodachi be closed ranged? Vide
PostSubject: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 5:59 am

i was wondering why half a meter makes a sword mid range

Name: Nodachi
Type: Medium Range - Greatsword
Quantity: 1
Description: Known as a 'Field sword', the Nodachi is a large sword which can be wielded with either one or two hands. It is basically a larger version of a katana. Compared to the katana, the Nodachi is more difficult to wield due to its size and weight, but - like any weapon - could be extremely deadly if the warrior wielding it was skilled. The length of the nodachi's hilt varied between twelve to thirteen inches (30 to 33 centimeters). Its cutting capability and range exceeded that of a katana, due to its weight and size. Nodachi's length can reach the 1.50 meters.

Name: Katana
Type: Close Range - Long Blade
Quantity: 1
Description: Commonly refereed to as a 'Samurai sword', the katana is characterized by its distinctive appearance. It has a curved, slender, single edged blade up to three feet in length, circular or squared guard, and long grip to accommodate two hands. As such, it has become renowned for its sharpness and cutting ability.

shouldnt mid range weaponry be like chains and whips and staffs? the nodachi should be close range, maybe made it b rank close instead of c rank mid. it seems like most of the 2 handed weapons (nodachi claymore could easily be b rank close range weapons)

Back to top Go down
Reggie Bell-Bottom Jr.
Reggie Bell-Bottom Jr.

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 6:04 am

Aight. Consider it done.

By the way, check out my mixtape.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 6:26 am

As I was given to understand, Jutsu Range =/= Weaponry ranges.

My memory is a bit fuzzy on the subject, but overall, for Weapons, close range is "How about a kiss" range, mid-range is "breathing room," and long-range is "enough time to draw a bowstring."

It was never really clarified, but suffice to say, you wouldn't try using a tanto in the same way you use a nodaichi.
Back to top Go down
Hiryuu
Konoha Nin
Hiryuu

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 6:57 am

then why are swords close range? the nodachi isnt that much logner than the sword. if sworads are mid range, then i wouldve taken mid range instead of close >.<
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 7:05 am

Just a top-of-my-head example. It really varies from weapon to weapon. Consider the nodaichi you're on about right now; that was a cavalry sword. The purpose of it was to be able to strike down at infantry from horse-back, without risking unseating yourself.

Besides, the description used doesn't really describe a true nodaichi; to be one, the blade, by itself, would be 1.5 meters, with the overall length of the weapon more in line with 1.7 or 1.8 meters.
Back to top Go down
Hiryuu
Konoha Nin
Hiryuu

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 7:15 am

so what exactly counts as close range? wouldnt close range just be limited to like nunchucks or brass knuckles or things like short range billy clubs?

i just want more of a 'kenjutsu' thing but idk what range that really is. i would like to have a nodachi but i don't want it to be impossibly long so i guess thats where my concern. i definitely want it to be longer than whats considered a normal katana but not long enough to be considered mid range

and thanks that clears up why i was confused
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 12:32 pm

Found it. Knew there's already been a FA topic on this.

http://www.ultimateshinobi.org/t8485-mid-range-weapons
Back to top Go down
Hiryuu
Konoha Nin
Hiryuu

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 12 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

ahhh thanks

i think anything that is considered mid range should be something that keeps people from using close combat weaponry, not using close combat period. i guess i am agreeing with your initial point in that thread (correct me if i am wrong) but if we go by range distances, but my defintion of close range would be all the current close range items and pole arms/nodachi like we already discussed.

a broadsword at the end of the day shouldnt be considered as beyond close combat. close combat should be dictated by how far the opponents are away from each other, not which weapon has the range advantage with in such a small distance. if you put anything from brass knuckles to spears and polearms in close range it visually makes more sense (at least to me)

things like zaku's tubes and the chakra fan, those are definitely all mid range.

and id also like to point out when you googole 'nodachi' you don't get the traditional japanese weapon, you get the nodachi from one piece! which was copied and pasted
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Sword

the real sword is linked here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Cdachi

even two people fighting with halbreds and polearms are still fighting close range. putting katana's as at a disadvantage with a halbred make sense but no one is ever using the full distance of a weapon. halbreds may be big, but they still require you to hold them with two hands, holding it closer to the butt of the weapon makes it harder to control and less effective. the weapons entire range has been taken too much into consideration with mid range weaponry. a whip or kusarigama still has a huge advantage over a halbred

still close range
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/44228856382955939/3F69173B4C37DE43DCF37C1BE0B160DE805201CE/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXesoopsWGE
look at this one minute in, the kusarigama is definitely mid range thats' for certain. he is completely outside of the range of the katana and if it were a real fight he woudl've won that on the first blow. the end part of the kusarigama (the part he hit his hands with) is metal (in real battles) and he would've either broken that dudes fingers or just completely disarmed him.

so yeah i agree with you i guess, i think that definition of mid range shoudl be changed. if you stand considerably farther away from your opponent (kusarigama's or whips could easily have an extra three meters range) because of your weapon then it should be mid. but if you are pretty much standing close to your opponent in the same fashion it should be considered close. anything that doens't go over five meters should be considered close.
Back to top Go down
lifeanddeath
lifeanddeath

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyMon 16 Feb 2015, 11:51 pm

As with a number of other things on the site, the nature of the weaponry system is in the process of being updated to better reflect categorization.

Thus is it too presumptuous to solve this ?
Back to top Go down
Mugen Kousen
Mugen Kousen

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? EmptyThu 19 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

What's the status on these updates? Can we get a brief summary of the intended direction so we can know what to expect?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: can nodachi be closed ranged? can nodachi be closed ranged? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-