Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Active/Passive Jutsu Types?

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Brett
Brett

Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Vide
PostSubject: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptySun 01 Mar 2015, 3:18 am

One thing that has always interested me about our rules is that we only allow the utilization of one jutsu at a time, for obvious reasons. Now playing as a medical shinobi, I have come to find this more conflicting than ever. I have some medical jutsu that I would like to create, but function on a 2 part level.

Pretty much I need a technique that allows me to attract/repel a substance, as well as the following active jutsu that makes the aforementioned technique of any importance. Now, I would like for the seal to be a passive jutsu and the other to be an active one.

What does that mean? Simple, really. The passive technique is one that does not directly effect any of the parties in the thread, but rather serves another innate function; these techniques do not have the ability to be re-purposed for combative purposes. Conversely, active jutsus are ones that do indeed directly effect players (offensive jutsus, defensive, or anything else that impacts a player's character with direct effects.)

This is a minor change that would only require one addition to the current jutsu template:
Code:
[b]Jutsu Type: Active/Passive[/b]

Now, of course, in order for passive techniques to remain active, they too much incur chakra costs for continual usage. Usage rates for these techniques are innately lower than those of offensive/defensive purposes.

Rule: The CP cost to maintain a passive jutsu is half of the activation CP cost. (I.e. If the technique costs 8 CP to activate, it will always cost 4 CP per post to maintain the technique)

If you're searching for an application of this (and trust me, I know we don't adhere to the anime/manga logic/practice entirely), think of Tsunade. Her medical seal is a passive jutsu, even when active.

Dunno if this will work, at any rate, but I thought I'd throw it up there to see what staffers/members have to say. Do please contribute.
Back to top Go down
Brett
Brett

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptyFri 06 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm

HUMP BUMP Active/Passive Jutsu Types? 287405
Back to top Go down
Keos
Keos

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptySat 07 Mar 2015, 8:14 am

I think it is already possible to create custom passive techniques and decide a certain activation/maintenance chakra cost. I do not quite get what your suggestion is other than adding the Jutsu Type in the template.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptySat 07 Mar 2015, 8:59 am

I'm too, a little confused by the purpose of this whole FA topic.

The Hyuuga and Uchiha are maintaining their eyes at the same time as using techniques. The Aburama maintain their bug control jutsu, and then use techniques with it. The Nara need to cast Shadow Imitation before using Shadow Neck Bind Technique.

All seals are essentially passive until released. That's kind of their thing.

So I'm not really sure what you exactly mean or are trying to invent, when throwing the term "passive" around (and also not sure why you are trying to attach a really high maintenance cost to it).

It would help if you actually explained what this two-step jutsu you want to create, is.
Back to top Go down
Mugen Kousen
Mugen Kousen

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptySat 07 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

It seems like those are exceptions though Chris. Based on things I've heard from Trey, it generally isn't allowed for someone to have more than one jutsu active at once. You're allowed to make jutsu that build off one another, for example: a suiton to wet some one followed by a raiton to shock them.

But if the two jutsu are both active and being supplied chakra at the same time, it isn't allowed.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've been given based on how Trey has graded things.
Back to top Go down
Persy
Kumo Nin
Persy

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptySat 07 Mar 2015, 6:53 pm

Mugen is correct.

If a jutsu requires an upkeep, it is perceived that it also requires focus to be properly maintained, therefore, it seems rather difficult to focus on executing two jutsu at the same time.

There are ways around this. For example, Uros created a battery seal that I am forever grateful for. You attach it to another seal, and then place x amount of chakra in it to maintain the jutsu without supervision.

The only other potential I may be able to see, is using Shadow Clones. Naruto and Zabuza demonstrated an ability to have more than one jutsu going at a time when those were used.
Back to top Go down
Brett
Brett

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? EmptyFri 03 Apr 2015, 3:17 am

Luckily I've thought of a chakra depositing jutsu as well Becky, so that works.

I do agree that the stated chakra upkeep cost is kinda steep, it was simply an example and can be changed.

While I don't believe that 2 ACTIVE jutsu should be able to be used at the same time, I think 1 Active and 1 Passive should be acceptable.

To reiterate:
Active Jutsus: Techniques which are in the process of attacking an opponent or defending from an opponent.
Passive Jutsus: Techniques that serve no direct combative purpose. These may include personal seals, enhancing jutsus, or jutsu that last for longer periods of time altering the battlefield (Ex. Yuki clan's snow technique, and all aforementioned ones by Chris).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Active/Passive Jutsu Types? Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-