Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Character Likes/Interests

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Strawberry
Strawberry

Character Likes/Interests Vide
PostSubject: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 2:51 pm

All of our characters have interests listed in their applications, many of which include literature, linguistics, art history and other fields which we do not know much of in the Naruto world. So my question is: Can we talk about, let's say linguistics and quote Chomsky, but use a different -japanese- name instead of Chomsky's name? Or can we use "Chomsky".

For instance, instead of saying:

"The basis to Chomsky's linguistic theory is that the principles underlying the structure of language are biologically determined in the human mind and hence genetically transmitted."

You can say:

"The basis to Fujimoto's linguistic theory is that the principles underlying the structure of language are biologically determined in the human mind and hence genetically transmitted."

I think it would make more sense to use the background of a person proficient in that field (in this case Chomsky) and just use a different name. 
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 3:05 pm

Honestly, I just avoid directly naming real people.
Back to top Go down
Strawberry
Strawberry

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 3:14 pm

Yeah well, sometimes you are having a conversation and want to quote someone to start off a subject to talk about. So quoting someone is a great way to do that. Or you want to back up your arguments, or you just wanna seem smart. So you quote famous people.

My character reads a lot and memorizes books, so she usually refers to authors, scientists, whatever, if it is relevant.
Back to top Go down
Hiruzen
Hiruzen

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 4:30 pm

I personally don't think it should be much of a problem. I mean, you are already taking out the real-world reference, so everything seems fine to me. 
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 4:45 pm

I doubt Chomsky will sue you if you pretend that he is a Japanese fe/male.

But be careful. Naruto-verse's "science" is a little weird, to put it mildly.

I would stay away from Communism (+ other economic/political theories) as well as Psychology and Human Sciences; remember the fact that your character is supposed to be a soldier, not a scholar.

Since it took a few hundred deaths for Tsunade to persuade the village to have Medical Ninjas in teams, I'm guessing Psychology is not a well researched or respected field. Heck, people are still sceptical now. Likewise, leave the Medicine to Medical Nin, though you could question how much one knows about the body, when all he needs to do is make green light shine from his hands Razz 

So yeah. Stay away from Freud, Marx, Liberal thinkers and the like.

On that note, I doubt many books would have been written on Linguistics.
Back to top Go down
Kite
Kumo Nin
Kite

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 5:13 pm

Do what you want, I doubt anyone's going to really care.
Back to top Go down
Hiruzen
Hiruzen

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 5:15 pm

TOPKite wrote:

I care, I care so much it hurts.
Back to top Go down
Kite
Kumo Nin
Kite

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 5:34 pm

Hiruzen wrote:
TOPKite wrote:

I care, I care so much it hurts.

Just go take a cold shower, it'll fix your problem.
Back to top Go down
Strawberry
Strawberry

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptyTue 27 May 2014, 9:48 pm

Lol.

Thanks! I'll just do whatever. Consider this solved! ^^
Back to top Go down
lifeanddeath
lifeanddeath

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests EmptySat 31 May 2014, 12:25 am

Solved.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character Likes/Interests Character Likes/Interests Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-