Ultimate Shinobi - A Naruto RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

No Seals do WHAT now

View previous topic View next topic Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

No Seals do WHAT now Vide
PostSubject: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySun 10 Aug 2014, 11:26 am

Special Characteristics wrote:
Name: No Seals
Type: Physical
Physical Requirements: Blurred Hand Movements
Training Requirements: A 1600 word training post is required to gain this special characteristic.
Description: Name: No Seals
Type: Physical
Physical Requirements: Blurred Hand Movements
Training Requirements: A 1600 word training post is required to gain this special characteristic.
Description: The final step in regards to the mastery of hand seals, compounding atop both blurred hand movement and one handed seals is the ability to utilize certain ninjutsu technique without ever needing to form a hand sign. This ability stems largely from familiarity in regards to technique. As the principle stands the more a shinobi uses a technique, their skill with said technique increases thus, through time and training they are able to perform the technique without the need to create the hand seals. Upon learning this SC, a user must define five C - Rank techniques which they are able to use in conjunction with the abilities of this SC. These techniques cannot be changed, however with 600 words of additional training they can gain the ability to utilize two B - Rank techniques without seals in addition to the five already present. For secondary training amount of 900 words, they can gain a final slot for one A - Rank technique.
Techniques:

• C - Rank Technique
  • C - Rank Technique
  • C - Rank Technique
  • C - Rank Technique
  • C - Rank Technique
  • B - Rank Technique
  • B - Rank Technique
  • A - Rank Technique

Mother fuckers you what.

Did we not go over this the first time, way back when I was still staff, how mother fucking DANGEROUS an SC this becomes when you apply it to higher ranked techniques? Did we not specifically deny this from having the capacity for applying to higher ranked techniques, specifically because of how much shit can be wrecked by particular C-rank jutsu if you just have no warning whatsoever that they're coming? And then y'all wankers go and give the opportunity for that to apply to a couple of B-rank techs, and even a single A-ranks!? Do I have to go down a point-by-point list of all the Open techniques that could just ruin your day if you had no warning about them, to say nothing of the custom jutsu people could invent with the specific intention of exploiting them for No Seals?

What discussion could possibly have lead to this seeming like a good idea?

And now, for a more personal little nitpick.

Special Characteristics wrote:
Name: Chakra Sensory
Type: Chakra Based
Physical Requirements: N/A
Training Requirements: An 1200 word training post is required to gain this special characteristic.
Description: The ninja awakens a dormant talent they've possessed and develops a new type of sensory. Now being classified as a "Sensor Ninja" the ninja is capable of detecting the presence of other people through a unique application their chakra. This sensory ability has two main facets of function. With the first the user must remaining focused and stationary and as a result the sensor will be able detect their targets from a great distance which can extend to a maximum of 100 meters. In this state they are capable of differentiating a character by their signature chakra alone to such an extent they can pin-point any individual within their sensory limit even if they are surrounded in a crowd. In the midst of combat, this ability is far less refined as the user is unable to maintain the proper focus. Without the proper time and effort a Sensor is only capable of utilizing their inherent sensory at a maximum of 20 meters and the details they gain are far less specific. They are only able to recognize those of a familiar chakra signature with ease and beyond that their abilities are limited to a sense of vague location with no clues in regard to the actions or abilities of their opponents.

Oh hey, Sensor Nin got edited. It now rather sensibly has a combat-range and a non-combat range. Hmmmm. I wonder who might have suggested that in the first place back when SCs were first being revamped months ago.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 1:48 pm

Since y'all are taking your sweet damn time to respond, I'll go ahead and pose an off-the-top-of-my-head list of all the techniques that could fuck you over right quick when performed without any discernible warning.

• Great Fireball Technique; one second it's casual conversation, the next second your god damned face in on fire.

• Mythical Fire Phoenix; Pretty much the same raw deal, only times five.

• Mist Waltz Technique; I notice nothing in the technique decription says anything about the gas being visible, or even having a noticeable smell. So casually breathe out some flammable gas, combine it with the also-without-warning Fireball or Phoenix Fire, and suddenly your enemy is exploding.

• Earthen Rising Spears; just walking along, minding my own business, annnnd I've been skewered by the ground.

• Water Prison Technique; hey buddy, lemme just put my hand on your shoulder and pat ya on the bac- GOTCHA. Now drown mofo.

• Great Breakthrough; sure, let me just plow you down with a freight train wall of wind mid-sentence.

• Partial Mutli-Size Technique (Akimichi Clan); put her there partner, annnd now I've got you by the throat and am snapping your neck.

• Dance of the Larch (Kaguya Clan); gimme a hug!

• Drilling Finger Bullets(Kaguya Clan); like my handgun? Get it? Handgun?

• Shadow Imitation (Nara Clan); gotcher body.

• Shadow Neck Bind Technique (Nara Clan); gotcher neck.

• Mind Transfer Jutsu (Yamanaka Clan); well what do you know. I've got an invisible mind control missile that I can no activate mid-conversation without any discernible hand seals. Would be a shame is someone set you up in an elaborate death trap before jumping out of your body.

And these are just your old, ordinary, run of the mill C-rank techniques. To speak nothing or the bone-breaking B-ranks techniques and outright fatal A-rank techniques that could end a fight before it even starts when you've got no warning that it's coming. To say even less for the techniques people could create and design specifically to exploit this SC.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 2:07 pm

All the Fireball techniques require you to put your hand to your mouth, take a deep breath, and then spit out fire. It's pretty damn clear when you're going to use a fire technique.

Water is not created instantly; if someone tries to use the Water Prison technique on you, the sphere of water that engulfs you doesn't just materialize instantly.

With Nara techniques, you still have to extend the shadow over to them. Catching someone with a shadow with No Hand Seals is just as easy as it was with One Handed Seals, when you could casually put your hand behind your back or in your pocket, and they would not know any better.

Regardless, keeping No Hand Seals at D Rank made it completely useless. Extending it to A Rank is however taking it too far in the other direction.
Back to top Go down
Faker
Nukenin

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 5:53 pm

No seals is 'dangerous' because you're implying that there isn't any conjuration. A technique is always worked up. Even in the manga where techniques can appear instantly, there is room to dodge.

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/420/7

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/550/3
http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/550/4

He sensed pressure, meaning he sensed chakra being built up offensively. He was wrong.

There are a few overpowered techniques:

Name: Zetsushi Nensan - Tongue Tooth Sticky Acid
Type: Medical Ninjutsu
Range: Close (0m - 5m)
Element: N/A
Description: A highly concentrated acidic paste is suddenly released from the mouth. The acid boasts such high density and concentration it dilutes even stone, vaporizing it. There are no prerequisite moves to do before this jutsu's activation. Thanks to this, the user can easily strike quickly and catch an enemy off-guard with the attack. The acid can easily be removed with water, and can be neutralized by applying 25 chakra to the location struck.
Chakra Cost: 25

Acid powerful enough to melt stone.

Name: Bunshin Bakuha - Shadow Clone Explosion
Type: Ninjutsu
Description: The user creates what looks like an ordinary shadow clone which, unlike normal shadow clones, does not store chakra, and therefore cannot perform jutsu. Because it takes on the appearance of a regular clone, the enemy will be lead to believe it is one, and may proceed to attack it. At the user's will, they may detonate this shadow clone to produce a B-rank explosion capable of causing serious damage. Should someone be able to see through the body of the shadow clone, they may figure out it is nothing but a walking timebomb.
Chakra Cost: 20

The ability to create exploding clones within 5m because there is simply nothing stating you can't do it.

All we need is explicit, easy to find rules that describe the process of conjuration and heavy moderation on A rank techniques allowed.
Back to top Go down
TwinnyPuppy
TwinnyPuppy

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 11:16 pm

Izayah wrote:
No seals is 'dangerous' because you're implying that there isn't any conjuration. A technique is always worked up. Even in the manga where techniques can appear instantly, there is room to dodge.

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/420/7

http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/550/3
http://narutobase.net/manga/Naruto/550/4

He sensed pressure, meaning he sensed chakra being built up offensively. He was wrong.

There are a few overpowered techniques:

Name: Zetsushi Nensan - Tongue Tooth Sticky Acid
Type: Medical Ninjutsu
Description: A highly concentrated acidic paste is suddenly released from the mouth. The acid boasts such high density and concentration it dilutes even stone, vaporizing it. There are no prerequisite moves to do before this jutsu's activation. Thanks to this, the user can easily strike quickly and catch an enemy off-guard with the attack. The acid can easily be removed with water, and can be neutralized by applying 25 chakra to the location struck.
Chakra Cost: 25

Acid powerful enough to melt stone.

Name: Bunshin Bakuha - Shadow Clone Explosion
Type: Ninjutsu
Description: The user creates what looks like an ordinary shadow clone which, unlike normal shadow clones, does not store chakra, and therefore cannot perform jutsu. Because it takes on the appearance of a regular clone, the enemy will be lead to believe it is one, and may proceed to attack it. At the user's will, they may detonate this shadow clone to produce a B-rank explosion capable of causing serious damage. Should someone be able to see through the body of the shadow clone, they may figure out it is nothing but a walking timebomb.
Chakra Cost: 20

The ability to create exploding clones within 5m because there is simply nothing stating you can't do it.

All we need is explicit, easy to find rules that describe the process of conjuration and heavy moderation on A rank techniques allowed.

QFT

However, I don't think you're all realizing that in reality there is very little difference. It still takes time to prepare to use the technique. It's not an "I'm casting this instantly and then casting a second one afterwards instantly" type of thing. Though I'm not sure why that clause was removed, now that I look at it, it's still going to take time for you to focus the chakra. Additionally, you might gain the element of surprise, but even with hand seals, unless you know the technique, you're not going to know what's coming. There are jutsu, such as doton techniques, where the only hint of the technique being executed is the threat coming directly at you from under your feet, and even though you saw the hand seals, if you don't know what the jutsu does, you wouldn't know to worry about your feet. Just because the person didn't have to use seals doesn't make that detail any different, and while it certainly makes things more dangerous for the person on the receiving end, like was stated before, it's no different than somebody having one-handed and holding it behind their back or hiding it in their pocket.
Back to top Go down
http://captaintigglesworth.tumblr.com/
Hiruzen
Hiruzen

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 11:31 pm

Still, the old version of No Seals is not really worth having. I don't think I need to explain how the old one kinda sucked.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 7:34 am

No Seals do WHAT now Tumblr_inline_mkfxr9XspA1qz4rgp

Aight mother fuckers. Let's roll.

Chris;

Congratulations on losing your bet with Eric by the way, and being a fool. Only in the Great Fireball jutsu does it mention the usage of a hand in front of your mouth for the technique, and even that is only insofar as an optional "better control" aspect, just like how technically speaking, you can shoot a gun from the hip, but it's much more accurate if you brace it against your shoulder. And in any case, it's still a very viable suprise attack by going through the excruciating, unbearable masterminded charades of faking a large yawn. That was sarcasm, is if went over your head.

That is still a very short window of opportunity between "Hey, this water is moving" and "Fuck, I'm trapped." Good luck countering your way out of that one without being called out for Godmoding.

"Hey, why's your hand behind your back?" "Hey, why's your hand in your pocket, and why is your pocket moving?" Congrats for picking the two most obvious ways of saying "I'm trying to hide something from you."  Further congratulations for trying (and failing) to discredit only three of the twelve examples listed.

"Useless" is a matter of perspective, and if you can't think up some D and E rank techs that'd be a boon in the battlefield to pull off by surprise, frankly, you're just not trying.

Izayah;

Congratulations; you've shown an example of Pain using his Heavenly Push powers, and two examples of Naruto and Kabuto sensing a jutsu while in their respective Sage Modes, which I remind you come complete with chakra sensory ability not unlike the Sensor Nin special characteristic. So again, congratulations, on proving nothing whatsoever.

"Sensing pressure" from a jutsu build up is by far the worst metagaming excuse I've heard yet. Yes, there is "conjuration," to use the Skyrimiffic term, but unless the person "conjuring" is actively using hand seals, or the person watching the conjuring is a Sensor Nin or has an active Byakugan, or even the jutsu has an active, specifically visible charge up, like Chidori- then it is effectively invisible.

Those techniques are far from overpowered; they are precisely within the realm of what an A-rank technique can be capable of doing. What makes them OP is combining them with No Seals; that is, the potential to use them with no visible warning sign until the effect executes.

Kyo;

That it still has a casting time is irrelevant. The fact is, casting time or no, you have absolutely no idea the jutsu is being cast until the effect manifests. So contrary to what you think, it makes a vast amount of difference. When someone actively uses hand seals, you are immediately able to discern "Hey, they're making an attack." Lack of knowledge over whether it'll come out of the ground or out of thin air is entirely irrelevant; only an idiot would stand still long enough to find out. Once you know they're attacking, you start moving.

BK-201 wrote:
"Hey, why's your hand behind your back?" "Hey, why's your hand in your pocket, and why is your pocket moving?" Congrats for picking the two most obvious ways of saying "I'm trying to hide something from you."

Not to mention the fact that having to hide your hand, at the very least, takes more conscious effort to conceal, and provides actual opportunities to notice and counter, compared to No Seals.

Vergil;

Congratulations Vergil for, to the surprise of absolutely no one, rooting up for keeping the OP thing. You can feel free to bow out of the discussion now. We already know where your views of "fairness" stands, and I for one do not feel like having a repeat of the Sage Mode discussion with you.
Back to top Go down
TwinnyPuppy
TwinnyPuppy

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 8:24 am

I do realize that it makes a difference.

But it still takes the same level of concentration to execute the jutsu. If you're attempting to gather up your chakra to fire off a jutsu and somebody throws a barrage of projectiles at you, you're not going to be able to ignore them and finish the technique. Whether you dodge, deflect, or intercept the projectiles, you're not going to simply finish the jutsu casting there unless you're able to maintain that same level of focus.

Yes, if you know they're attacking, you wouldn't be standing still, but while a moving target is harder to hit, if you aim a jutsu properly by predicting where the enemy is moving, you can still catch them in it. That's a very basic principle behind landing something that has to be launched from a fair distance. Using the spikes as an example, it's far easier to avoid spikes coming out of the ground directly up by moving away, but if you're running in one direction and spikes are coming at you from the opposite direction, in your path, you don't have enough time to avoid them.

Moving on, if you're in a fight with somebody, it's not a good idea to stand still for very long, regardless of what the enemy is doing. If you're forced to be on the defensive and thus don't want to make an aggressive move, you'd still be waiting for a sign of an attack to defend against. If you're not alert at all times and waiting for them to make an attack, then that's a problem in and of itself. It wouldn't be much of a stretch if you're literally bracing yourself, preparing to move from your position at a moment's notice if you don't know what your opponent is going to pull. Being on alert allows you to react faster than you would have if you weren't waiting for something to come at you. If you're simply focusing on the actions of your opponent and not on the environment, then that's your mistake.

Yes, No Seals gives you a higher potential to catch somebody off guard and kill them if they aren't prepared to dodge an attack, but it's not an all-powerful thing. It doesn't guarantee that the target won't have enough time to react just because you can't use hand seals.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 9:45 am

If I can move while performing a jutsu with seals, I'm sure I could do the same with No Seals, but this is getting off topic.

This is not about how much of a problem No Seals poses once the fight has actually started; this is about the fact that, with the right jutsu at your disposal, No Seals can end the fight before your opponent even realizes it is a fight. If you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, you're not going to be expecting them to suddenly spit rock-dissolving acid in your face; when the battle is underway, you're of course on the ready and on the alert for potential attacks, but again, that's not the point. No Seals, no visible build up; absolutely no warning whatsoever that your conversational partner has turned hostile until the first jutsu flies, and more often than not, being caught that flat-footed will leave you dead.
Back to top Go down
Faker
Nukenin

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 9:51 am

First, lets understand how chakra works:
Reference
The manga clearly states that all techniques require conjuration, aka the build up of chakra. On US, 'No Seals' special characteristic implies that you follow the same process - but you simply skip the hand seals part. This allows for techniques to come out faster by way of the element of surprise.

In the initial example I should have highlighted Kakashi's instant conjuration of Raikiri with 'no hand seals'. The second example shows Nagato's ability to sense pressure (chakra) building up a jutsu. I never meant to imply Kabuto or Naruto, as I thought it obvious that Kakashi instantly cast Raikiri and Nagato sensed chakra. Plus Kabuto was not in Sage Mode, as he naturally looks like a snake due to Orochimaru's cells. But besides that...

Also it is entirely possible to sense a presence behind you, even if it is not building up chakra. In US terms, blindsiding a ninja with A Rank Stealth does not always mean an instant hit. (Plus the mods would simply not allow it)

Kakuzu blindsides Shikamaru, but he is still able to sense something.
Click This

Notice how Killer Bee manages to avoid a direct hit with Amaterasu. The panels leading up to the technique show that Sasuke is clearly aiming for the face, but that is not the part hit.

Ref.1 Ref.2 The technique spreads later as he thrashes about.

Also lets discuss practical ways to avoid being blindsided by with someone with No Seals. To run up behind someone makes you noticeable unless you have A Rank Stealth. To blindside with A Rank stealth on US means to suppress your chakra to the point where it is hidden. This is undone by manipulating chakra.

Great Fireball technique makes noise, fire cackles. You can hear this.

Mist Waltz is derived from here, which implies the jutsu can be seen.

Earth Rising Spears cause the ground to shift under your feet. It is entirely possible to dodge something by simply feeling it.

Instant cast of the Water Prison jutsu requires the user and enemy to be on a large source of water. The only time Water Prison was used in a quick manner was in a sealed format. Kakashi makes a mistake. Kisame sets up Water Prison using Water Clones. It is impossible to surround someone in water without a source.

Great Breakthrough performed by Orochimaru (At S Rank) was not able to knock down genin. It does so little damage, Sasuke and Sakura are unhurt and use the cover to hide.

Akimichi don't use hand seals anyway. Being close to one is a grave mistake.

Dance of Larch did not prove fatal for genin Lee. Plus, it doesn't require handseals anyway (neither does the finger bullets one). Plus both of these techniques make noise.

If you're caught in a shadow technique against a Nara, you're not looking at the ground. Most people fall for it when they are against it the first time, but what most people fail to realize is the technique is double-edged.

The Yamanka clan technique is argulably overpowered, yes. I told you I agreed which is why I said we needed heavy moderation.

Anyway, a lot of your statements are hyperbole. They imply situations in where the opponent cannot react using their own senses or other elements around them. For instance if your character sneaks up on XXX with your cloak on, you can still be sensed if you were running by the sound of your coattail against the wind.
Back to top Go down
TwinnyPuppy
TwinnyPuppy

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:04 am

I didn't say you couldn't move while preparing a jutsu? But moving on...

In that scenario, there are a number of factors that would contribute to the outcome. First off, this is a universe where shinobi are meant to be ready to fight at basically any time. If this is somebody you don't know, and you're not prepared for them to turn hostile, then, again, that's just how the world works. After all, if you encounter somebody you've never met and you live in a society where anybody could be an enemy, it's not smart to let your guard down just because they're friendly. On that same note, the person initiating the fight should have a logical reason for doing so. Throwing a jutsu at somebody just because they can, especially without IC reason, would certainly not go over well once the topic goes through evaluation. Just like a suicide should fit the character's attitude, so should their aggression towards another character. For example, if you're a missing nin and are concerned about a village nin finding out about you and taking you in, you might be aggressive towards them. If somebody had proof that your best friend was a traitor and dangerous and should be taken out, that might be a good reason, if the information wasn't meta-gamed. Which leads me to my next point.

If you're in a thread with somebody your character knows, and if that person has a valid reason for coming after you, you're still not necessarily going to know if they've turned hostile just because they're making hand seals. They could be doing something that has more practical applications, depending on the situation. In that case, it's to be expected that a sudden aggressive act is going to catch you by surprise, regardless of whether there was some sort of build up or not. If your best friend is having a normal conversation with you and is making hand seals, I doubt you're automatically going to assume they're planning to attack you unless you have a good reason to doubt them. If my mother walks into the room with a knife while talking to me, I'm not going to assume she's going to harm me unless her behavior is off/there are other signs that she might be out to shank me. But if she does, and it catches me by surprise, it's because I trusted her and she betrayed that trust.
Back to top Go down
CleverYamanaka
Wanderer
CleverYamanaka

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

"Help! Help! There's a way to get creatively powerful! Ban it! Deny it!"

This site's S rank ninja would lose in an instant to a genin in the anime.

Making this place a little more open to epic fights, and epic powers would help.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:40 am

In order;

I did not argue that there isn't a "build up," I argued that such a build up was detectable. Further, Kakashi's conjuration of a Raikiri without seals has no baring on the argument; it's not about whether it's possible, it's about the lethality of allowing it. And further, there is absolutely nothing in the scene to speak of "sensing" the jutsu either; Pain was looking directly at Kakashi. They were in the midst of close-quarters combat.

Second, Nagato "sensing pressure;" to say nothing of the possibility that he could have said any number of things then and there, given it's a translation, there is further the matter of it is Nagato. Have you seen what the Rinnegan is capable of? Six Paths bullshit? Not to mention it apparently shares ties with both the Byakugan and Sharingan? In short, there are simply way too many variables and suspect circumstances to appropriately use him as an example.

I'll grant that Kabuto was not in Sage Mode; but, he was in the process of using Edo Tensei to control the various undead shinobi. I find it highly likely that through this connection, he can sense when they're up to shenanigans.

That bit with Kakuzu blindsiding Shikamaru? That has absolutely nothing to do with "Sensing his presence." That's about "Oh hey, I heard something behind me." Ninja still have ears, and someone moving that fast generates noise from all the displaced air, stealth or no.

I see nothing of Killer Bee avoiding a direct hit, and see everything of Sasuke actively trying not to outright kill the target he's been designated to take alive. In the very "Ref 2" you provided, you can clearly see that while it didn't hit his face, it definitely erupted right in front of his face. Again, this was more than likely intentional on Sasuke's part, because again, he's trying to take Killer Bee alive.

Izayah wrote:
Also lets discuss practical ways to avoid being blindsided by with someone with No Seals. To run up behind someone makes you noticeable unless you have A Rank Stealth. To blindside with A Rank stealth on US means to suppress your chakra to the point where it is hidden. This is undone by manipulating chakra.

Irrelevant; only a Sensor Nin or someone with an active Byakugan would even notice the chakra to begin with, so to the layman, suppressed or unsuppressed, a stealth user is effectively invisible unless actually seen.

Fireball; yes, you can hear this, right as the fireball is flying at your face.

Mist Waltz; animation convenience for the sake of people watching the episode. Great Breakthrough also has a visible effect in the anime, but again, that's for the viewers sake alone. From actual IC perspective, all one would see of Great Breakthrough is the distortion occurring to anything in its path, not the actual attack itself; seeing as Mist Waltz doesn't specify any identifying elements, the same can be said of it; invisible from an IC perspective.

Earth Rising Spears; good luck taking that half second between feeling the earth shift and feeling the spear pierce your liver to work out a dodge without being called out on godmoding.

Water Prison; the circumstances under which Water Prison needs to be cast is not as important as the fact that, under those circumstances, with No Seals, it is almost certainly inescapable.

@Kyo; I find the circumstances under which the hostility may or may not begin to be largely off point. People can come up with ANY excuse to start a fight. I have seen people start fights for no other reason than "Meh, this person is boring me now." And if someone is in the procession of taking their "best friend to your character" character down the path of darkness- well fantastic, they are absolutely guaranteed to catch you be surprise. We could spend all day arguing the possible scenarios under which someone might attack another person, and the plausibilities of each given scenario being likely or unlikely; but we would be here for weeks.

The main issue is thus; if two characters meet up, and are not immediately hostile, fists flying from the get-go, then the one with No Seals possesses a high capacity for ending the fight in a single attack.

@Zack; and another whiny bitch nobody is surprised wants to keep the OP thing.

ANYway, while refuting all your various claims about why so-and-so jutsu couldn't result in a fatal surprise attack is invigorating, it is completely off topic for the following reasons; one, these are open jutsu. Just the barest, bare bone basics, open to everyone, canon jutsu. I could start another topic entirely on just what sort of custom jutsu ideas I could think of that would mercilessly exploit this SC to be a fight-ender under all circumstances. Secondly, this is just C-rank. It should absolutely go without saying, without question, that there are open B and A rank jutsu (to say nothing of my ideas for customs) that will [b]absolutely[/i] end the fight before it even starts. Third, they are, overall, specific examples of the way the SC can be exploited, when the topic should be the capacity for exploitation, in and of itself.
Back to top Go down
CleverYamanaka
Wanderer
CleverYamanaka

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:55 am

What are you scared of? Has this place ever had real problems with this anyway? Why not let people make fights with higher stakes. The sooner you give out more powerful jutsu, you'll have more people bold enough to do things like attack villages, or go rogue. Global interaction, perhaps on a smaller scale. On top of that, people can have more epic characters, without anyone suddenly having to deal with mass genocide. Seriously, what are you scared of? So what if someone can activate jutsu without hand seals? It's just an advantage that person has, while the other person probably has something that can make for a lethal combination when thought out correctly. Everyone has their OP, when they use their layout correctly. No point in limiting it with every available chance.
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 11:05 am

Honestly, this thing stays the way it is, I'll be first in line to exploit the holy flaming Jesus shit out of it. I've already got a few ideas as it is; I can make an absolute freaking waking nightmare out of this SC.

And that's precisely why I'm against it, because I know just how much shit this thing can wreck. I might be okay with people owning guns, but I don't want everyone and their granny to be able to buy a M134 Minigun.
Back to top Go down
CleverYamanaka
Wanderer
CleverYamanaka

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 1:36 pm

Not everyone and their grandma has this skill. Others have incredible speed, which would allow someone to dodge attacks made even without warning. Or perhaps great endurance, to endure such an attack. Maybe they're just cautious combatants, or-- or you can just blink and miss "hidden" attacks such as these, as you've ruled in favor of, Travis. People are really great at finding their way out of certain attacks, etc. Just because something can be used well with enough intelligence and tact does not mean it should be removed and banned. Let people be powerful, and tactful, without knowingly taking advantage of people and breaking the system. Easy enough.
Back to top Go down
lifeanddeath
lifeanddeath

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

Locked and reserved for yours truly to post.
Back to top Go down
lifeanddeath
lifeanddeath

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptyThu 14 Aug 2014, 2:16 am

No Seals do WHAT now Tumblr_n8b2u5JNwe1r8nyzfo1_500
Travis wrote:
Aight mother fuckers. Let's roll.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Sit down and educate yourself. As I always do, I'll start with the first post and work my way down, addressing comments in regards to what each person has posted in this thread and/or misconceptions that have spawned outside this thread.

Travis:
    First of all, get over yourself. The 'bet' between Eric, Chris and I was a joke which spawned as a result of knowing how certain people, especially you, like to blow issues entirely out of proportion with exaggerated examples, making a mountain out of a molehill if you will. Also for the record, your displeasure with the changes to the No Seals SC is not 'backlash' one person making a logically flawed argument is not backlash. If the displeasure was site-wide, the case might be different, but no the system was not altered and put into practice with the assumption that there would be a large amount of displeasure in regards to it so you can stop spouting your false assumption to anyone who will listen.

Secondly, I have/had no idea what SC edits you proposed to do, only what was implemented and still needs to be fixed. The changes to sensor were made after I had a conversation with Enzo regarding said special characteristic and further implemented with only input from Alex, Enzo and myself, thus your proposed changes from your previous tenure on staff were not considered and thus served no influence in making the changes to the sensor SC. However, with that being said, I commend you if they your changes to the Speed SCs... 'faster than a cheetah' lets disregard all logic entirely why don't we.

With that being said, moving on.

As opposed to being opened to all techniques D - rank and below. The No Seals SC is now limited to a maximum of eight techniques up to A rank with an exuberant amount of training. These techniques cannot be changed or altered once they have been selected and they must be selected when each stage of training is completed. Moving on, I will admit that the SC in theory is a little 'over powered' (a word which I use hear to mean "slightly above the current power ceiling" as opposed to how everyone seems to use it to mean "game breaking, Kyuubi Sage Mode Sharingan Power Up") however, not to the extent that such a large deal must be made over this and I (unsurprisingly) feel rather insulted to think that the power of this SC was not considered before I wrote, reviewed and subsequently published the alterations.

If you really want to play the technique by technique game, you might want to get better at it.
Great Fire Ball Technique: Yeah, I will concede being able to do a fireball without warning is ridiculously annoying and presents a huge advantage. However, that's the benefit of being able to perform an surprise attack. That being said, the large intake of air that you must perform prior to expelling a fire technique from your mouth is a bit of a dead giveaway, not to mention to perform a fire technique without the control gesture [Reference] results in a largely uncontrolled flame with only a meager travel distance [Reference I] [Reference II] as compared to the more controlled alternative. The gesture which need I remind you is common in most fire techniques found in the Manga short of Amaterasu, not just Great Fireball. Once again I must reiterate that the large intake of air is kind of a dead giveaway given that this technique cannot be performed without that exercise in breath control. The inhale required and as shown in the Manga is a bit more than a 'faking a large yawn' as shown they inhale the largest amount of air possible as it is crucial for their techniques. Further as you have failed to take note of in your bad attempt at citing examples, the intake of air is almost universally explicit to sucking in the air as to compress it, not a wide intake as one might expect from a yawn, further it must be done in conjunction with the hand seals (or in this case chakra focus) not after, nor before, thus blatantly obvious.

Mythical Fire Phoenix: The fireballs from this technique have scarcely any actual power as in terms of power it is equal to that of the above mentioned technique but split into smaller forms. The same mention about the intake of air, and the focus gesture apply. Arguably both are more important given the projectile nature of this technique.

Mist Waltz Technique: Was noticeable in the filler from which it spawned I believe, that being said the technique is due for some much needed clarification. Beyond that I will agree this technique serves a large advantage when included within the no seals, however once again the focus gesture as referenced above is used. The technique will be altered to a shorter range with the due edits (given that it is listed used as a short range technique) meaning without the focus gesture it would more than likely consume the immediate range around the user. If you need me to point out more information on how this is a bad idea you might want to ask Rukasu as to why igniting an explosive gas in immediate range of your person is a bad idea.

Earthen Rising Spears: I must admit beyond the lack of seals required, I do not believe that the element of surprise really applies to earth techniques, as I believe that Alex said below, a vast majority of all earth techniques are used as 'surprise' techniques. One can scarcely be constantly prepared for an attack from the very substance that they are standing on. Although with that being said, one of keen observational skills might take note to the ground shifting beneath their feet, which means there must be some form of allotted reaction.

Water Prison Technique: Because it's a common ability to be able to summon water from nowhere? As I recall only the Second Mizukage was capable of summoning water in such a regard, thus this example only really serves to be a valid point if you happen to be standing on or within the immediate vicinity of water, at which point you might think you would be a little more prepared.

Great Breakthrough: Another one due for clarification edits. I believe its solo usage amounts to a strong breeze, which would easily be countered by a certain common ability that allows for a Shinobi to stand or walk on surfaces that might otherwise be rather difficult to do so.

Akimichi and Kaguya techniques: Citing techniques that don't require hand seals as an attempt to prove why a No Seals SC is 'over-powered' (which I use here in jest to mean "ZERMAGER BROKEN")... did you perhaps misplace your observational skills ?

Nara Techniques: Given that the staple Nara technique [i.e Shadow Imitation] only requires one hand seal, only requires one seal it would be rather pointless to apply it to No Seals given that it already benefits drastically from both One-Handed Seals and Blurred Hand Movement. Not to mention you have to be caught by the technique unless you lack the brains to position yourself properly and allow for your shadows to overlap from the start, at which point you pretty much deserve to die. If I do recall correctly Shadow Neck Bind requires Shadow Imitation to be in effect before it can be utilized, thus your example is once again moot.

Yamanaka Technique: Hmmm, I wonder if my opponent falling over might be a hue clue to what technique they are using ? There's a reason that the Yamanka usage is always done in a support or team play fashion, because without being previously locked down, it's damn near impossible to hit a target that is not either mindless, trapped or otherwise locked down. I guess theoretically it could be a problem, however the Mind Transfer Jutsu is less of a problem. Further, need I remind that Sakura beat the technique by sheer force of will? That being said, I can see reason to revise the SC in a small degree in that it will only apply to the standard twelve hand seals (and their one handed variants) rather than clan specific ones.

To move on to further address not only the techniques that Izayah has mentioned but also a few specific and general examples of my own.

Shadow Clone Explosion:Show Clone Variant, one seal. Removing that one seal only presents a minor advantage. Secondly assuming you create a clone within the allotted five meter range and immediately detonate it, it might be an issue, but need I return back to my previous point about detonating an explosion when you are nearby being a strategical no-no?

Zetsushi Nensan - Tongue Tooth Sticky Acid: Yes. For the first time, yes this might actually be an issue. HOWEVER, this technique also violates several rules established for techniques, was originally used by a Slug in Canon and is due for near immediate removal.

Doku Kiri - Poison Mist: Usefulness is entirely negated by the need to stop and insert the poison into your mouth.

Canon Fire Techniques: Nearly every canon fire technique is marred by the requirement to inhale a massive amount of air, which in almost any situation is quite suspicious.

Canon Earth Techniques: Disregarding the one technique mentioned above, a majority of the earth techniques are defensive in nature, none of them allotting for an instant or perfect defense. Swamp of the Underworld is a bit problematic, but not belligerently OP.

Canon Water Technique: Require either a source of water or water to be expelled from the mouth, in the later case the huge inhale much like fire techniques require, is a also a dead giveaway.

Canon Raiton Techniques: A majority of the meager amount of Raiton Techniques only grant a slight advantage in the basis of surprise, granted this judgement is largely impeded by just how badly explained majority of the lightning technique are. Raiton Gian, slightly more of an issue, but I return to the fact that it initially only requires one seal (snake) which when considering both one handed seals and blurred hand movement, once again does not gift the technique with a huge advantage.

Wind Release: Given the nature of Wind Release techniques, I must concede that the do gain a significant advantage from this technique, however all techniques cannot be taken at face value given that nearly all of them need to be edited in some regard.

In Regards to Custom Jutsu: You cant really argue for or against the 'OP' nature of custom Jutsu without first seeing the jutsu in question. Theoretically every custom jutsu could be over powered and every custom jutsu could be under powered... Schrodinger jutsu if you will. As it stands the A - rank and possibly the B - Ranks as well will be allowed or denied based on moderator discretion in regards to all techniques, but most specifically custom.

Moving on.

Chris wrote:
Extending it to A Rank is however taking it too far in the other direction.

I thought about that, I really did. As I said in the staff lounge when completing a minimal revision to the SCs, I offered a choice between all C - Rank techniques or a grand total of the eight you can obtain now. The initial concept intending to expand upon how hand seals work in the Manga, as they are used as a means of focusing your chakra, not too dissimilar to training wheels on a bicycle, in that they coach you through the process of utilizing the technique. From there, the more familiar you are with the technique the easier the chakra manipulation the easier it is to do, hence less hand seals, it explains why the Hand Seal Requirement of nearly every frequently used technique has drastically decreased and explains as to why Tobirama was able to use a technique which normally requires thirty-seven seals with only three. That being said, the one possible A - Rank technique does increase in a meager way the general lethality of those with this SC, but I do not really think that it is 'broken.' In most combat scenarios between equal combatants it would not even press a huge advantage, obviously this is less true in situations that transition between a social thread to a combat thread in which someone decides to be an asshole. But in such a situation anything that can be used whilst attracting a meager amount of attention is generally really powerful. I can't really account for every possible situation of usage (in regards to placement of the characters not technique choices), but the more stupid ones (I.E the ones Travis keeps citing for examples) are only problematic if your character is dumb enough to put themselves in said situation.

Travis wrote:
"Sensing pressure" from a jutsu build up is by far the worst metagaming excuse I've heard yet. Yes, there is "conjuration," to use the Skyrimiffic term, but unless the person "conjuring" is actively using hand seals, or the person watching the conjuring is a Sensor Nin or has an active Byakugan, or even the jutsu has an active, specifically visible charge up, like Chidori- then it is effectively invisible.

The ironic part about Travis considering something Meta-gaming is how he seems to repeatedly imply that just because a hand is hidden means that a Jutsu is being performed.

That being said, in regard to the 'conjuration' build up for techniques, it will be elaborated on in the soon to be released Combat Guide.

Travis wrote:
Not to mention the fact that having to hide your hand, at the very least, takes more conscious effort to conceal, and provides actual opportunities to notice and counter, compared to No Seals.

Interesting how said opportunities to notice and counter have been pointed out by others in this thread but you have largely chosen to ignore them, or in your ignorance misconstrue how they actually function.

Travis wrote:
This is not about how much of a problem No Seals poses once the fight has actually started; this is about the fact that, with the right jutsu at your disposal, No Seals can end the fight before your opponent even realizes it is a fight. If you're in the middle of a conversation with someone, you're not going to be expecting them to suddenly spit rock-dissolving acid in your face; when the battle is underway, you're of course on the ready and on the alert for potential attacks, but again, that's not the point. No Seals, no visible build up; absolutely no warning whatsoever that your conversational partner has turned hostile until the first jutsu flies, and more often than not, being caught that flat-footed will leave you dead.

So by that logic we should ban the Kaguya and Akimichi clan as well? The issue here is only one of both character concept and player choice, I cant imagine any trained solider who would put themselves in such a leisurely and passive situation with someone who would be likely to commit such a dick move.

Travis wrote:
Second, Nagato "sensing pressure;" to say nothing of the possibility that he could have said any number of things then and there, given it's a translation, there is further the matter of it is Nagato. Have you seen what the Rinnegan is capable of? Six Paths bullshit? Not to mention it apparently shares ties with both the Byakugan and Sharingan? In short, there are simply way too many variables and suspect circumstances to appropriately use him as an example.

I'll grant that Kabuto was not in Sage Mode; but, he was in the process of using Edo Tensei to control the various undead shinobi. I find it highly likely that through this connection, he can sense when they're up to shenanigans.

So wait, once again your attempt at logic has one big gaping flaw. Nagato has an ability that is god-tier at that point in the Manga, so we must disregard all of his actions and assume that he doesn't follow the normal functions that we have seen in the Manga? But we should draw conclusions in regards to Kabuto based on no evidence at all and an asinine assumption?

Breaking from topic. Zack shut up. You offer nothing of substance to this thread beyond fueling a fire that shouldnt even be there.

I could go on for about how Travis makes gross assumptions without logic and assumes he's right, and how his 'victories' in this thread are misconstrued, but it's been a long day, Im pushing 2800 words and as it stands both Izayah and Alex have already said everything I have said or would need to say so I close with this.

Without more viable arguments, the SC will remain the same with a few edits. As it stands the SC will apply only to Ninjutu, Medical and Fuuinjutsu, with the latter still requiring placement or contact if applicable, but not to Genjutsu given that allowing for an instacast Genjutsu without limitation is OP (which I use here to mean "Broken OMG KYUUBI SAGE NARUTO WITH SHARINGAN".) The Jutus choices will be reviewed by staff upon applying for the SC and can be denied or approved on any reasonable basis.
Back to top Go down
Adam
The Boss
Adam

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 8:29 am

Fuuuuck. No Seals do WHAT now 287405

Trav, anything left to say?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ultimateshinobi.org
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

No Seals do WHAT now Im_done_zps1c6256d2

Joking gifs aside; meh. I think it's a terrible idea, and their solution is terrible as well. To us an analogy, it's like standing in front of a hole in the fence, manually turning away each problem as it comes; only in this scenario, there are as little as three and as many as five people in control of the hole at any given time, all with potentially vastly different ideas and opinions. What one person may deny, another might allow. Not to mention, that the faces of these three to five frequently change out for fresher faces. Frankly, it'd just be easier to just patch the hole.

That said; college has started back up, and it drains me entirely too much to care what happens to US these days. Instead of senselessly fighting an uphill battle, I'm going to use what little free-time I have to try and advance, and finish, my character's story, and move on.

Y'all just try not to fuck up the place too much. I'm officially out of the energy to care.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chris

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

That was a very nice "I lost the argument but I'm gonna pretend that I didn't really care to begin with" speech you gave there.  TEEHEE 

Anyone else wants to give a closing statement? Or can this be solved?
Back to top Go down
BK-201
Kumo Nin
BK-201

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 2:48 pm

I did care, and I still do care. What I do not, however, is have the time, energy, or leisure to drag this fight out. Also Chris, you're a cunt. However gracefully or gracelessly I bowed out, someone would have shit-talked me on my way out the door.

No Seals do WHAT now AEG1odx_460sa_v1
Back to top Go down
Faker
Nukenin

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 6:33 pm

Nobody should inherently think you're a bad person. Not even me. The fact still remains.

1. We initially discussed on the CB how certain techniques could be overpowered.
2. You and I agreed!
3. You log on, call me dimwitted and insult me out of no where the day or so after.
4. You proceed to use a ton of hyperbole in your arguments.
5. Everyone agrees that the SC needs moderation, and should be carefully watched to prevent bullshit situations (like the ones you explain). Yet when your arguments are debased, you suddenly stop posting.

You get shit-talked because you're the one who starts it. I just couldn't believe you would insult me that way. Not because your insult hurt me, (kek no) but because it was completely random. You didn't need to do it, but you did.

Now Adam's reaction, Trey's reaction, and Chris's reaction all make sense. People don't keep saying the same thing about you unless a part of its true.
Back to top Go down
lifeanddeath
lifeanddeath

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now EmptySat 23 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

Solved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Seals do WHAT now No Seals do WHAT now Empty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
-